Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Integral by two methods

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    Recently I was working through a problem involving a force field, and came up with a question I could not answer, so I thought I would post it here. I solved the problem using a vector representation and a line integral, and although I am sure the answer is correct, I would like to solve it by a slightly different method. My question is about the method.

Here is the original problem: I have a vector field x^3 i + 3zy^2 j + -x^2y k and I am calculating the line integral along the straight line segment passing through points (3,2,1) to (0,1,0)
    I set this up in terms of u : (3-3u) i + (2-u) j + (1-u) k
    Now I substituted into the vector field to get:
    [(3 - 3u)^3 (-3)] + [3 (1 - u) (2 – u)^2 (-1) ] + [(3 -3u)^2 (2 – u) (-1)]
    This is now integrated in respect to u between the limits 0 to 1 yielding: -19.25

So far so good. Now what I would like to do is integrate the same field in terms of (x,y,z) instead of u. To do that I need to derive a path as a function of (x,y,z) from the given points. That is my question! Of course, I know how to derive the function for two points given in (x,y) by using the point-slope formula. But it has somehow escaped my memory on how to derive a three variable function from the given points.

I’m sure someone here knows how to do this. Can you help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by that? You can't write a line or curve as a single equation of 3 variables. A line is one-dimensional. If you were to write a single equation f(x,y,z)= 0 you could choose any two of those variables and solve for the third: that defines a two-dimensional surface.

This was typed first-then I realized I had misunderstood your question so I went back and changed- but I forgot to erase this:
    You already have that [itex]\vec{r}(u)= (3-3u)\vec{i}+ (2-u)\vec{j}+ (1-u)\vec{k}[/itex][/itex] and now you want to use x itself as parameter? Let x= 3- 3u. Then 3u= 3- x so u= 1- x/3. Replace u by that in the formula: [/itex]\vec{r}(x)= x\vec{i}+ (5- x/3)/vec{j}+ (4- x/3)\vec{k}[/itex]
    I thought when I started that that you were asking how to write the curve as a function of x, not as a function of "x, y, z".
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    It seems you didn't quite finish what you started to say, but you told me what I needed to know; it can't be done by defining a path in (x,y,z) even though the path is in three dimensional space it is still a straight line. Thanks.
  5. Nov 23, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have gone back and editted what I wrote before.
  6. Nov 23, 2008 #5
    OK. I see it now. Apparently there is still something wrong with the LaTex, but I get the idea. All I need to do is a reverse sunstitution from terms of u to terms of x,y,z. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?