Evaluate the Line Integral ∫_{C}xyds for x=t^2 and y=2t, 0≤t≤5

In summary, the conversation involves a problem of evaluating an integral and the person making a mistake by not properly substituting and using the wrong derivative. They eventually realize their mistake and fix it.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
ok, my turn to ask a question.

Problem: evaluate [itex]∫_{C}xyds[/itex] for [itex] x=t^2 and y = 2t from 0\leq t \leq 5[/itex]

not sure what I did wrong, but here it goes:

solve for ds:
[itex] ds =\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2} = \sqrt{4t^2+4}=2\sqrt{t^2+1}[/itex]

substitute:
[itex]∫_{0}^5 4t^3\sqrt{t^2+1}dt[/itex]

substitute again:
[itex] t=tan(\theta) → dt = sec(\theta)d\theta → ∫_{L}4tan^3(\theta)sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex]

[itex]4∫_{L}tan^3(\theta)(tan^2(\theta)+1)d\theta =4 ∫_{0}^5t^3(t^2+1) =4∫_{0}^5t^5 +t^3 =4\frac{5^6}{6} + 5^4[/itex]
But it's wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely the fact that you transformed ##\int_{0}^{5}4t^3 \sqrt{t^2 + 1} dt## into ##\int_{0}^{5}4t^3 (t^2 + 1) dt## is a red flag. Where did the square root go?

Double check your derivative of ##\tan(\theta)##.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
ok, my turn to ask a question.

Problem: evaluate [itex]∫_{C}xyds[/itex] for [itex] x=t^2 and y = 2t from 0\leq t \leq 5[/itex]

not sure what I did wrong, but here it goes:

solve for ds:
[itex] ds =\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2} = \sqrt{4t^2+4}=2\sqrt{t^2+1}[/itex]

substitute:
[itex]∫_{0}^5 4t^3\sqrt{t^2+1}dt[/itex]

substitute again:
[itex] t=tan(\theta) → dt = sec(\theta)d\theta → ∫_{L}4tan^3(\theta)sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex]

[itex]4∫_{L}tan^3(\theta)(tan^2(\theta)+1)d\theta =4 ∫_{0}^5t^3(t^2+1) =4∫_{0}^5t^5 +t^3 =4\frac{5^6}{6} + 5^4[/itex]
But it's wrong
What is the derivative of tan(Θ) ?

ok, its sec*tan, stupid mistake, but I'm still not getting my root back. substituting my tan in under the root gimves me sqrt(sec^2)=sec, so i now have 1 exrtra power of tan, but dt is sec*tan, and that gives me 2 secants, one from the root, 1 from my substituted differential... I do agree with you, I always remember the root coming back in calc 2... I'll check it again when i get off work

Alright I got it, I was making the wrong substitution. I tried u=t^2 +1 and that got me the right answer. I just saw the sqrt(t^2 +1) and assumed a trig substitution, but once I actually wrote it down and looked at it, it was a useless substitution, as I either had all secants or all tangents, and no good differential to sub in.

Thanks for catching my d/dtheta (tan(theta)) error guys =]

The derivative of ##\tan(\theta)## is not ##\sec(\theta) \tan(\theta)##.

If you are not sure, you can always calculate it by applying the quotient rule to ##\tan(\theta) = \sin(\theta)/\cos(\theta)##.

Huh, your right... lol
oops that's what I get for not actually doing it.

1. What is a line integral problem?

A line integral problem is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral of a function along a specific path or curve. It is used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to determine the total value of a physical quantity that varies along a specified path.

2. What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

The main difference between a line integral and a regular integral is the path or curve along which the integration is performed. In a regular integral, the integration is done over a single variable, usually denoted by x. In a line integral, the integration is done along a specific path, which can be a curve or a line, and it is expressed in terms of another variable, such as t or s.

3. How is a line integral problem solved?

To solve a line integral problem, the first step is to parametrize the given path or curve. This means expressing the path in terms of a parameter, usually denoted by t. Then, the integral is evaluated by substituting the parametrized path into the function and integrating over the specified limits of t.

4. What are some applications of line integral problems in science?

Line integral problems have various applications in science, such as calculating the work done by a force along a curved path in physics, determining the circulation of a vector field in fluid mechanics, and finding the center of mass of a three-dimensional object in engineering.

5. Are there any real-life examples of line integral problems?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of line integral problems. One common example is calculating the work done by a force, such as gravity or friction, on an object moving along a curved path. Another example is determining the path taken by a particle in a magnetic field, which can be described using a line integral.