1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral problem

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

ok, my turn to ask a question.

Problem: evaluate [itex]∫_{C}xyds[/itex] for [itex] x=t^2 and y = 2t from 0\leq t \leq 5[/itex]

not sure what I did wrong, but here it goes:

solve for ds:
    [itex] ds =\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2} = \sqrt{4t^2+4}=2\sqrt{t^2+1}[/itex]

substitute:
    [itex]∫_{0}^5 4t^3\sqrt{t^2+1}dt[/itex]

substitute again:
    [itex] t=tan(\theta) → dt = sec(\theta)d\theta → ∫_{L}4tan^3(\theta)sec^2(\theta)d\theta[/itex]

[itex]4∫_{L}tan^3(\theta)(tan^2(\theta)+1)d\theta =4 ∫_{0}^5t^3(t^2+1) =4∫_{0}^5t^5 +t^3 =4\frac{5^6}{6} + 5^4[/itex]
    But it's wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surely the fact that you transformed ##\int_{0}^{5}4t^3 \sqrt{t^2 + 1} dt## into ##\int_{0}^{5}4t^3 (t^2 + 1) dt## is a red flag. Where did the square root go?

Double check your derivative of ##\tan(\theta)##.

4. Apr 16, 2014 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the derivative of tan(Θ) ?

5. Apr 16, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

ok, its sec*tan, stupid mistake, but i'm still not getting my root back. substituting my tan in under the root gimves me sqrt(sec^2)=sec, so i now have 1 exrtra power of tan, but dt is sec*tan, and that gives me 2 secants, one from the root, 1 from my substituted differential.... I do agree with you, I always remember the root coming back in calc 2... I'll check it again when i get off work

6. Apr 16, 2014 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Alright I got it, I was making the wrong substitution. I tried u=t^2 +1 and that got me the right answer. I just saw the sqrt(t^2 +1) and assumed a trig substitution, but once I actually wrote it down and looked at it, it was a useless substitution, as I either had all secants or all tangents, and no good differential to sub in.

Thanks for catching my d/dtheta (tan(theta)) error guys =]

7. Apr 16, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The derivative of ##\tan(\theta)## is not ##\sec(\theta) \tan(\theta)##.

If you are not sure, you can always calculate it by applying the quotient rule to ##\tan(\theta) = \sin(\theta)/\cos(\theta)##.

8. Apr 16, 2014 #7

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Huh, your right... lol
    oops that's what I get for not actually doing it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted