Line Integral vs. Surface Integral: Range of t?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between line integrals and surface integrals, as well as the range of t when parameterizing a curve. The range of t can vary depending on the chosen parametrization, but it must satisfy the conditions of the endpoints of the line segment. It is important to carefully consider the parametrization and its effects when performing integrals.
nothGing
what is the different between line integral and surface integral?
If we parameterize curve by x=t , y=t , what is the range of t ? Is it 0<= t <=1? why?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothGing said:
what is the different between line integral and surface integral?
A "line integral" is along a one-dimensional line and a "surface integral" is over a two dimensional surface.

If we parameterize curve by x=t , y=t , what is the range of t ? Is it 0<= t <=1? why?
There are no bounds. if you are talking about a portion of a curve, say from [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] to [itex](x_1, y_1)[/itex], the range of t is from whatever value of t gives [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]y_0[/itex] to whatever value of t gives [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]y_1[/itex].

Erm.. ok..
Let say, integral ( x^2 + y + z)ds , the line segment of curve is from (0,0,0) to (1,2,1).
We parameterize curve C by x=t , y=2t , z=t.
As you said, t should be between 0 and 2.
but according to my reference book, 0<=t<=1.
Why?

HallsofIvy said that the range of t is such that your parametrization will agree with your end points. (Of course, you first need to check that your parametrization does describe a line, in this case it does).

With your paramterization, its 0<=t<=1. But I could choose:

x=t/2, y=t, z=t/2

Which still describe a line with the same orientation, instead now t must range from 0 to 2 to give the desired segment.

nothGing said:
Erm.. ok..
Let say, integral ( x^2 + y + z)ds , the line segment of curve is from (0,0,0) to (1,2,1).
Why?
When t=1, x,y,z is the final endpoint. Try plugging t=1 into the forumulas for x,y,z to convince yourself of this.

nothGing said:
Erm.. ok..
No, I did NOT say that! I said " if you are talking about a portion of a curve, say from (x0, y0) to (x0, y0) , the range of t is from whatever value of t gives x0 and y0 to whatever value of t gives x1 and y1" . Since this is in three dimensions, we need to include z0 and z1 also.

We must have x(t)= t= 0, y(t)= 2t= 0, and z(t)= t= 0. Obviously t= 0 satisfies all of those.

We must also have x(t)= t= 1, y(t)= 2t= 2, and z(t)= t= 1. Obviously t= 1, NOT t= 2, satisfies all of those.

Why?

HallsofIvy, ya.. i missunderstand already.. :p
Well, now i understand it.. thanks to elibj123,Redbelly98, HallsofIvy for helping..

Related to Line Integral vs. Surface Integral: Range of t?

1. What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that involves calculating the area under a curve or along a path in a two-dimensional plane. A surface integral, on the other hand, involves calculating the area or volume of a three-dimensional surface. While both integrals involve calculating the area, the main difference is that a line integral is done in two dimensions while a surface integral is done in three dimensions.

2. What is the range of t in a line integral and a surface integral?

The range of t in a line integral is typically a single value or a range of values that represent the parameter along the path that is being integrated. In a surface integral, the range of t can represent the parametric equations of the surface being integrated over.

3. Can the range of t be negative in a line integral?

Yes, the range of t can be negative in a line integral. This is because the parameter t can represent any point along the path being integrated, including points in the negative direction.

4. How do you determine the range of t in a line integral?

The range of t in a line integral is determined by the specific path being integrated. The range can be found by looking at the limits of integration and determining the values of t that correspond to those limits.

5. Does the range of t affect the result of a line integral or surface integral?

Yes, the range of t can affect the result of a line integral or surface integral. This is because the range determines the specific points or area being integrated over, which can change the overall value of the integral.