1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral w/ constants only only in integrand

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I want help in the line integration of:

Integral( 1 dy + 3 dx ), over the curve C. Where C is the union of two line segments:

Line 1 from point (0,0) to (1, -3)

Line 2 from point (1, -3) to (2,0)

The thing is I do not know what to do with the integrand being composed of constants, as I am only aware of line integral examples with functions in the integand and subsequent substitution with parameterizations.

Hints are welcome, I am stuck upon the integrand substitution with the parameterization of the lines into the constant integrand.

I have C parameterized as:

Line 1: x = t y = -3t t [0,1]
    Line 2: x = t+1 y = 3t-3 t [1,2]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

line integrals...

[tex]\int_{C} 1 \, dy + 3 \, dx[/tex]

where C is the union of line 1 and line 2. Now on line 1, we have x=t, y=-3t, [tex]t\in \left[ 0,1\right][/tex] so that dx = dt and dy = -3dt on line 1, the integral over line 1 is then

[tex]\int_{\mbox{Line 1}} 1 \, dy + 3 \, dx = \int_{0}^{1} 1(-3 dt)+3 (dt) = 0[/tex]

now you do the integral over Line #2.

4. Jul 27, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So on line 1, dx= dt, dy= -3dt. The integral on that is:
    [tex]\int_0^1 1(-3dt)+ 3(dt)= 0\int_0^1dt= 0[/tex]

On line 2, dx= dt, dy= 3dt. The integral on the second line is:
    [tex]\int_0^1 1(3dt)+ 3(dt)= 6\int_0^1dt= 6[/tex]

Actually, there's an easy way to do that: [itex]\int_a^b dx= b-a[/itex] so the integral of dy as y goes from 0 to -3 is -3, the integral of 3dx as x goes from 0 to 1 is 3, the integral of dy as y goes from -3 to 0 is 3, the integral of 3dx as x goes from 1 to 2 is 3(1)= 3. The entire integral is
    -3+ 3+ 3+ 3= 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?