1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral with respect to x or y

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    I am confused about how

[tex] \int_C f(x,y) dx = \lim_{||P|| \to 0} \sum_{i = 1}^n f(x_i^*,y_j^*) \Delta x_i [/tex] is different from [tex] \int f(x,y) dx [/tex]

where P is a partition and its norm is the length of its largest elements. The index i represents an element in that partition and the asterik means the endpoint closest to the origin of that part of the partition.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there a context? Where did you see that they were different things? The classical notation for a line integral in the plane is

[tex]\int_C P(x,y)dx+Q(x,y)dy[/tex]

where this is to be understood as

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}P(x(t),y(t))\frac{dx}{dt}dt+\int_{a}^{b}Q(x(t),y(t))\frac{dy}{dt}dt[/tex]

Where t is the parameter for the curve C.

But if there is no Q(x,y), the integral turns out to be equivalent to a simple integration over x like you wrote.

4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    So, you are saying

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}P(x(t),y(t))\frac{dx}{dt}dt = \int_{x(a)}^{x(b)}P(x,y)dx [/tex]

That seems unintuitive to me for some reason.

5. Aug 28, 2007 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's just the change of variable formula!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?