Line integral with respect to x or y

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between two integrals, one with a line integral notation and the other as a simple integration over x. The latter is considered equivalent to the former when there is no Q(x,y) term. This is due to the change of variable formula.
ehrenfest
I am confused about how

[tex] \int_C f(x,y) dx = \lim_{||P|| \to 0} \sum_{i = 1}^n f(x_i^*,y_j^*) \Delta x_i [/tex] is different from [tex] \int f(x,y) dx [/tex]

where P is a partition and its norm is the length of its largest elements. The index i represents an element in that partition and the asterik means the endpoint closest to the origin of that part of the partition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a context? Where did you see that they were different things? The classical notation for a line integral in the plane is

[tex]\int_C P(x,y)dx+Q(x,y)dy[/tex]

where this is to be understood as

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}P(x(t),y(t))\frac{dx}{dt}dt+\int_{a}^{b}Q(x(t),y(t))\frac{dy}{dt}dt[/tex]

Where t is the parameter for the curve C.

But if there is no Q(x,y), the integral turns out to be equivalent to a simple integration over x like you wrote.

quasar987 said:
Is there a context? Where did you see that they were different things? The classical notation for a line integral in the plane is

[tex]\int_C P(x,y)dx+Q(x,y)dy[/tex]

where this is to be understood as

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}P(x(t),y(t))\frac{dx}{dt}dt+\int_{a}^{b}Q(x(t),y(t))\frac{dy}{dt}dt[/tex]

Where t is the parameter for the curve C.

But if there is no Q(x,y), the integral turns out to be equivalent to a simple integration over x like you wrote.

So, you are saying

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}P(x(t),y(t))\frac{dx}{dt}dt = \int_{x(a)}^{x(b)}P(x,y)dx [/tex]

That seems unintuitive to me for some reason.

It's just the change of variable formula!

1. What is a line integral with respect to x or y?

A line integral with respect to x or y is a mathematical concept that calculates the area under a curve on a graph. It involves integrating a function with respect to either the x or y axis, depending on the orientation of the curve.

2. What is the purpose of a line integral with respect to x or y?

The purpose of a line integral with respect to x or y is to calculate the work done by a vector field along a specific path. It is a useful tool in physics and engineering for determining the energy or force required to move an object along a particular path.

3. How is a line integral with respect to x or y calculated?

A line integral with respect to x or y is calculated by breaking the curve into small segments, approximating the area under each segment as a rectangle, and then summing the areas of all the rectangles. This is known as the Riemann sum. As the size of the segments decreases, the Riemann sum approaches the actual area under the curve and the line integral is calculated.

4. What is the difference between a line integral with respect to x and a line integral with respect to y?

The main difference between a line integral with respect to x and a line integral with respect to y is the orientation of the curve. A line integral with respect to x is calculated along a curve that is oriented horizontally, while a line integral with respect to y is calculated along a curve that is oriented vertically.

5. What are some real-world applications of a line integral with respect to x or y?

Line integrals with respect to x and y have many applications in physics and engineering. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the electric potential of a charged particle, the flow of a fluid, and the motion of a particle in a magnetic field. They are also used in fields such as economics and finance to calculate the area under a demand curve and determine the value of a financial derivative.