Computing a Line Integral: Stokes' Thm

In summary, The line integral of v = 6i + yz^2j + (3y + z)k along the path (0,0,0) -> (0,1,0) -> (0,0,2) -> (0,0,0) is 8/3. The path can be broken into three pieces and each piece can be parametrized to find the integral. It is also possible to use Green's Theorem, but the function contains 6i, making it more difficult.
clint_sask

Homework Statement

Compute the line integral of v = 6i + yz^2j + (3y + z)k along the path (0,0,0) -> (0,1,0) -> (0,0,2) -> (0,0,0). Check your answer using Stokes' Thm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried breaking into three pieces. The first with dx = dz = 0, second dx = 0 and third dx = dy = 0. The solution is given as 8/3 but I can't seem to come up with that. Do I have to parametrize the curve or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I was able to do it by paramatrizing the 3 paths individually. A little tedious, but given that you can't use Stokes' theorem except to check your answer, it's the best you can do. The paths are all straight lines. Perhaps you could use green's theorem here, since the path lies on a plane and is closed, but the function you're taking the path integral of has 6i in it.

Ok, I managed to get it. Thanks :smile:

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the amount of a given quantity, such as force or work, along a specific path in a vector field. It involves integrating a vector function over a specific curve or path.

2. What is Stokes' Theorem?

Stokes' Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of that surface. It is used to simplify calculations involving vector fields in three-dimensional space.

3. How do you compute a line integral using Stokes' Theorem?

To compute a line integral using Stokes' Theorem, you first need to identify the vector field and the path or curve over which the integral will be calculated. Then, you can use the theorem to convert the line integral into a surface integral, which is typically easier to evaluate. Finally, you can use the appropriate mathematical techniques, such as the divergence theorem or Green's theorem, to solve the surface integral and find the value of the line integral.

4. What are the applications of computing a line integral using Stokes' Theorem?

Line integrals using Stokes' Theorem have many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force along a specific path, determining the circulation of a fluid in a pipe, or finding the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. They are also used in more abstract mathematical concepts, such as differential forms and de Rham cohomology.

5. Are there any limitations to using Stokes' Theorem for computing line integrals?

While Stokes' Theorem is a powerful tool for simplifying calculations involving line integrals, it does have some limitations. The theorem only applies to closed paths or curves, so it cannot be used for open paths. Additionally, the vector field must be continuously differentiable for the theorem to hold. In some cases, the surface integral may also be difficult to evaluate, making the use of Stokes' Theorem less practical.