Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    I'm studying for a test.
    The question is:
    Let A be the straight line segment from -3-4i to 4+3i. Let B be the arc of the circle |z| = 5 going anti-clockwise from -3-4i to 4+3i. Let C be the arc of the circle |z| = 5 going anti-clockwise from -3-i to 4+3i. Define:
    IA = [tex]\int_A[/tex] 1/z dz

IB = [tex]\int_B[/tex] 1/z dz

IC = [tex]\int_C[/tex] 1/z dz

How do I calculate IA, IB, IC? I know to write IA as an integral by parameterizing A, but how do I parameterize A, I know if I can find IA then the other two are easy. Could I let z = eit so dz = ieit dt. I can't seem to get the limits integration.
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2
    You have:

[itex]\int_{-3-4i}^{4+3i} \frac{1}{z}dz[/itex]

Just figure out the equation of the straight line from start to end. I get simply [itex]y=x-1[/itex]. So let [itex]x(t)=t[/itex] and [itex]y(t)=t-1[/itex] and solve:

[itex]\int_{-3}^4 \frac{1}{x(t)+iy(t)}(dx(t)+idy(t))[/itex]
  4. May 13, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

|-3-4i|= |4+ 3i|= 5 so they both lie on the circle |z|= 5 but [itex] |-3- i|= \sqrt{10}\ne 5[/itex] so the circle |z|= 5 does NOT go "from -3- i to 4+ 3i". Did you mean "from -3- 4i to 4+ 3i"? But then B and C are the same!? Perhaps you mean "from 4+ 3i to -3- 4i"? That is, B and C are two halves of the same circle.

Since z= x+ iy is on the circle |z|= 5 if and only if [itex]x^2+ y^2= 5[/itex], we can use [itex]x= 5cos(\theta)[/itex] and [/itex]y= 5 sin(\theta)[/itex] (which is the same as z= 5e^{i\theta}[/itex] for the circle. The only "difficulty" is getting the begining and ending values for [itex]\theta[/itex]. At z= 4+ 3i, [itex]x= 5 cos(\theta)= 4[/itex] and [itex]5 sin(\theta)= 3[/itex] so [itex](5 sin(\theta))/(5 cos(\theta))= tan(\theta)= 3/4[/itex]. For the anti-clockwise circle from 4+ 3i to -3- 4i, [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]arctan(3/4)[/itex] to [itex]\pi+ arctan(3/4)[/itex] and for the anti-clockwise circle from -3- 4i to 4+ 3i, [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from [itex]\pi+ arctan(3/4)[/itex] to [itex]2\pi+ arctan(3/4)[/itex].
  5. May 13, 2010 #4
    Sorry C is the arc of a circle |z| = 5 going clockwise from -3-4i to 4+3i.
    How do I parameterize z
    Is [tex]\vartheta[/tex] the same as for the anticlockwise arc.
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  6. May 13, 2010 #5
    Sorry z = 5exp(i[tex]\vartheta[/tex])
  7. May 13, 2010 #6
    For the anti-clockwise arc I got IB = ipi
    Does that mean the clockwise arc is ipi by symmetry
  8. May 14, 2010 #7
    No.. 1/z is not a symmetric function.
    It is also not an analytic function (in the origin), and I guess this exercise comes to teach you what it means about its line integrals.
  9. May 14, 2010 #8
    1/z is analytic inside the region determined by the curves A and B and on the curves... so, [tex]\displaystyle\int_B f(z) dz - \displaystyle\int_A f(z) dz = 0[/tex] (the minus sign is to correct orientation of the curves). So, if you found B, you have A.

Joining C with B (or A, it doesn't really matter), correcting the orientations, you can find the integral using residue theorem (which is simple for f(z) = 1/z, as it's already a Laurent series, and the pole is simple (order 1)). So, if you have B, and the residue, you also have C, and the problem is solved.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook