Linear 1st order differential equations

Plugging in x=0, you get:y = 4e^0 = 4So, C=0 and your final answer is y = (4x)e^x = 4xe^x. The back of the book may have simplified it differently, but your solution is also correct. In summary, the conversation discussed solving differential equations by using the integrating factor method. The equation dy/dx + ytanx = secx was simplified to ytanx - secx + dy/dx = 0 and then an integrating factor of e^-ln(cosx) was used. The resulting integral was then solved using the "tabular table" method for parts. Another example was discussed where the integrating factor
ch2kb0x

Homework Statement

dy/dx + ytanx = secx, y(pi) = 1

Homework Equations

I(x) = e^integral P(x)dx
Integral Q(x)e^integral P(x)dx
y=e^-integral P(x)dx (integral Q(x)e^integral P(x)dx + C)

(sorry, it is a bit messy, I don tknow how to use the math symbols yet)

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/dx + ytanx = secx, where P(x) = tanx, Q(x) = secx

ytanx - secx + dy/dx = 0

I(x) = e^Integral tanx = e^-ln(cosx)

Integral Q(x)e^integral P(x)dx = Integral (1/cosx) e^-ln(cosx) dx.

^^this is where I am stuck, either I did something wrong in the beginning, and/or it has to be integrated by parts. I only know how to do the "tabular table" method for parts, so if my calculations were right to that point, could somebody help me through the rest of the problem. thanks :(

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks confusing because you aren't simplifying the integrating factor. exp(-ln(cos(x))) can be written in a much simpler form using rules of exponents and logs. What is it?

Nm, i know how to solve it now, thanks.

Although, I am stuck on this problem now:

dy/dx - y = 4e^x, with y(0) = 4.

How do I solve this when there isn't a P(x) function next to y...or is there...

There is. P(x)=(-1).

For dy/dx - y = 4e^x, with y(0) = 4.

I got answer: y = (4x + C)e^x

The answer in back says 4e^x (x + 1)

What am I doing wrong?
My Procedure:
P(x) = -1 Q(x) = 4e^x

I = e^-x

Integral both sides = > e^-x(dy/dx -y) = e^(-x) (4e^x)dx

= e^-x y = 4x + c

= y = (4x + c )e^x

ch2kb0x said:
For dy/dx - y = 4e^x, with y(0) = 4.

I got answer: y = (4x + C)e^x

The answer in back says 4e^x (x + 1)

What am I doing wrong?
My Procedure:
P(x) = -1 Q(x) = 4e^x

I = e^-x

Integral both sides = > e^-x(dy/dx -y) = e^(-x) (4e^x)dx

= e^-x y = 4x + c

= y = (4x + c )e^x

You didn't use the boundary condition y(0)=4 to find C.

Related to Linear 1st order differential equations

1. What is a linear 1st order differential equation?

A linear 1st order differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form y' + p(x)y = g(x), where y' represents the derivative of y with respect to x, p(x) is a function of x, and g(x) is a function of x. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model various processes.

2. How do you solve a linear 1st order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving linear 1st order differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factor, and variation of parameters. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What is the importance of initial conditions in solving linear 1st order differential equations?

Initial conditions are essential in solving linear 1st order differential equations because they determine the specific solution to the equation. Without initial conditions, the solution would contain an arbitrary constant and would not be unique.

4. Can linear 1st order differential equations be used to model real-world systems?

Yes, linear 1st order differential equations can be used to model many real-world systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. However, they are not always an accurate representation of complex systems and may need to be modified or combined with other equations to create a more precise model.

5. What are some applications of linear 1st order differential equations?

Linear 1st order differential equations have many applications in science and engineering, including predicting the motion of objects, analyzing the behavior of electric circuits, and modeling chemical reactions. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to study various phenomena.