Finding Polynomial Graphs Through Given Points with Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find all the polynomials of degree <=2 whose graphs run through the points (1,1) and (2,0) and have a definite integral of -1 from 1 to 2. The process involves setting up three equations with three unknowns and solving for them. The conversation also clarifies the difference between dot product and matrix multiplication.
frasifrasi
Ok, so I grasped how to some versions of this question, but one question in the book is
asking to find all the polynomials of degree <= 2 whose graphs run through the points (1,1) and (2,0) such that integral (from 1 to 2) of f(t) dt = -1.

I have never done anything like this, so if anyone can help, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't let the integral fool you! It's more of the same. What is the definite integral of [tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex] from 1 to 2? Do the definite integral and you will see that you still have the same three unknowns.

ok, but at what point do I apply the integral?

You have three conditions. Applying those conditions will still give you three linear equation in three unknowns. Compute the integral in terms of a,b and c.

Knowing that you can write the polynomial y= ax2+ bx+ c, what equation does x=1, y=1? x= 2, y= 0? x= 2, y= 0? And, of course, what equation, for a, b, and c, do you get from [tex]\int_1^2 (ax^2+ bx+ c)dx= -1[/tex]?

I am doing the matrix for

a + b +c =1
and
4a + 2b + c =1

but het infinitely many solutions. Can you help me by saying if this is the correct matrix?

frasifrasi said:
I am doing the matrix for

a + b +c =1
and
4a + 2b + c =1

but het infinitely many solutions. Can you help me by saying if this is the correct matrix?

You have a third equation. Work out the integral Halls was kind enough to write out.

I know this is a stupid question, but I am getting

7/3a + 3/2b + c = -1 for the integral. Can anyone confirm this? It is just the answer doesn't seem right.

frasifrasi said:
I know this is a stupid question, but I am getting

7/3a + 3/2b + c = -1 for the integral. Can anyone confirm this? It is just the answer doesn't seem right.

That's right.

Dick or anyone,

My book is terrible so I am having to research a lot of topics.

For the dot product of the col matrix

and

I am getting

just by multiplying, is this the correct way? how does this differ from matrix multiplication(cross product) once you are dealing with larger matrices?

The dot product is the SUM of the products of the vector components. It's a scalar. In this case 1-4+3=0. If you work through matrix multiplication, you'll see you are building a matrix by taking dot products of row vectors and transposed column vectors.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrix operations, such as addition, multiplication, and inversion, to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

What are some applications of linear algebra in real-world scenarios?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, computer science, and statistics. Some common examples include analyzing networks, image compression, data analysis, and machine learning algorithms.

What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, determinants, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, vector spaces, and geometric transformations.

What are the benefits of studying linear algebra?

Studying linear algebra can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a strong foundation for more advanced mathematics courses and has numerous practical applications in various fields, making it a valuable skill for many careers.

What are some resources for learning linear algebra?

There are many resources available for learning linear algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Online resources such as Khan Academy and Coursera also offer free courses on linear algebra.