Linear Algebra and polynomials

In summary: No, that's not true either. U is the set of polynomials with even powers only. p(x)= a_0+ a_2x^2+ .... If n is even, U has dimension n/2. If n is odd, U has dimension (n-1)/2.
rad0786
Let U and V denote, respectively, the spaces of even and odd polynomials in Pn. Show that dimU + dimV = n+1 [Hint: Consider T: Pn ---> Pn where T[p(x) - P(-x) ]

So where to begin?

I thought that i should let p(x) = a + a0x + a2x^2 + ... + anX^n

So if U is the space of even polynomials, and let n be even, then U is the set of polynomials p(x) = a + a0x + a2x^2 + ... + anX^n then dimU = n

Then I am lost here, however, I thought id use the transformation... T: Pn ---> Pn where T[p(x) - P(-x) ] (by the way, is that transformation T: U ---> V well if it is.. i assumed it as and continuted)

Applying that transformation, you get

a + a0x + a2x^2 + ... + anX^n - [ a + a0(-x) + a2(-x)^2 + ... + an(-X)^n] = 2a0x + ... + 2anX^n

Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A polynomial is even if p(x)=p(-x), it is odd if p(x)=-p(-x). What does T defined above do to the space of even and odd polys as a linear map? What about the rank nullity theorem or other such things?

Personally, I don't see why you should do that method of attack since I can easily think of enough linearly independent even and odd polynomials (vectors) That make it clear that dim(U)+dim(V)=>n+1, and we already know that dim(U)+dim(V)-dim(UnV)<=n+1 and obivously the intersection is trivial.

rad0786 said:
Let U and V denote, respectively, the spaces of even and odd polynomials in Pn. Show that dimU + dimV = n+1 [Hint: Consider T: Pn ---> Pn where T[p(x) - P(-x) ]
So where to begin?
I thought that i should let p(x) = a + a0x + a2x^2 + ... + anX^n
So if U is the space of even polynomials, and let n be even,
No, you can't do that. n is "given" and can be any positive integer.
then U is the set of polynomials p(x) = a + a0x + a2x^2 + ... + anX^n then dimU = n
No, that's not true either. U is the set of polynomials with even powers only. [tex]p(x)= a_0+ a_2x^2+ ...[/tex]. If n is even, U has dimension n/2. If n is odd, U has dimension (n-1)/2.
Then I am lost here, however, I thought id use the transformation... T: Pn ---> Pn where T[p(x) - P(-x) ] (by the way, is that transformation T: U ---> V well if it is.. i assumed it as and continuted)
Applying that transformation, you get
a + a0x + a2x^2 + ... + anX^n - [ a + a0(-x) + a2(-x)^2 + ... + an(-X)^n] = 2a0x + ... + 2anX^n
Can somebody help me?
Thanks
First what is the dimension of Pn? Given any polynomial in Pn, can you write it as a sum of a polynomial in U and a polynomial in V (That's where the hint comes in)? What does that tell you?

Last edited by a moderator:
the dimension of Pn is just n+1

What do you mean write it as a sum of a polynomial in U and a polynomial in V?

So if i take the transformation of even polynomials...T: Pn ---> Pn where T[p(x) - P(-x) ] i get:

a0 + a2x^2 +... anX^n - [a0 + a2(-x)^2 + ... an(-x)^n]
= 0?

and if do the same with odd powered polynomials i get

ax + a3x^2 + .. + anx^n - [ -ax - a3x^2 - .. - anx^n]
= 2ax + 2a3x^2 + .. +2anx^n

Checking back, your defintion of T makes no sense (I read it as T(p(x)) =p(x)-p(-x), perhaps I ought to have read it as T(p(x) = -p(-x)))

How come both odd and eve polys have potentially x^n in them? What's going on with your notation?

Matt, I see no problem with his definition of T (although it would make more sense for this problem if it were T(p)= (1/2)p(x)- (1/2)p(-x)). T(p) is twice the "odd part" of p.

rad0786: What do you get if you apply T (or, better (1/2)T) to a general nth degree polynomial? What is p- (1/2)T(p) for polynomial p?

If you are not sure, try it on some simple polynomial:

What is (1/2)T(p) if p= 3x3+ 5x2- 4x+ 7?

What is p- (1/2)T(p)?

How would you write p(x) as a member of U plus a member of V?

Last edited by a moderator:
You see no problem with:

T:Pn --> Pn T[p(x)-p(-x)]?

is this some kind of new notation I'm not aware of? Perhaps you like me autocorrected this to something we were expecting to see based on the question? Ie T(p(x)) = p(x)-p(-x), from which we can apply the rank nullity theorem and get the answer.

Oh, I see your point. Yes, you were right, the notation was wrong. My mind automatically interpreted what it should be!

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve problems related to systems of equations and geometric transformations.

2. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has many real-world applications, such as computer graphics, data analysis, and engineering. It is used to solve problems related to optimization, data modeling, and image processing.

3. What are polynomials?

Polynomials are algebraic expressions consisting of variables, coefficients, and exponents, connected by addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. They can be written in the form of a0x^n + a1x^(n-1) + ... + an, where a0, a1, ..., an are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

4. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. For example, the polynomial 3x^4 + 2x^3 + 5x^2 has a degree of 4.

5. How are polynomials used in linear algebra?

Polynomials are used in linear algebra for solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing polynomial interpolation. They can also be used to represent geometric objects and transformations in vector spaces.