Linear algebra - Anti-Commutation Relations

In summary, the homework equation x_i; x_j = 2*y_ij* I holds for all pairs (i,j) where y_ij is a function of the coordinates (i,j).
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

Show that {x_i, x_j} = 2*y_ij* I for i = 1; 2; 3 and j = 1; 2; 3.
where
y_ij: N x N -> {0,1}, such that y_ij = {1, if i = j ; 0, if i not = j

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about exactly what I'm supposed to do here. Do i do all the combinations between i and j or what? Can someone please show me an example or two so that I can do the rest. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to show it for all combinations of i and j.

How are the xi's defined?

x_1 =
[0 1
1 0]

x_2 =
[ 0 -i
i 0]

x_3 =
[1 0
0 -1]

could you show me one of them just so that i know I'm doing them correctly please.

Last edited:
The easiest thing to do is just calculate the six possibilities. For example, for x1 and x2, you want to calculate

[tex]\begin{align*}
\{x_1,x_2\} & = x_1 x_2 + x_2 x_1 \\
& = \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0\end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

vela said:
The easiest thing to do is just calculate the six possibilities. For example, for x1 and x2, you want to calculate

[tex]\begin{align*}
\{x_1,x_2\} & = x_1 x_2 + x_2 x_1 \\
& = \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0\end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I calculate that then do the 2*y_ij* I and compare? how do i know {x1, x2} = x1x2 + x2x1?

Last edited:
SpiffyEh said:
I calculate that then do the 2*y_ij* I and compare?
Yes.
how do i know {x1, x2} = x1x2 + x2x1?
That's the definition of the anticommutator.

vela said:
Yes.

That's the definition of the anticommutator.

oh, ok. I wish we had been told that. But it makes sense.

I also have one similar to that

Commutation Relations. Show that [x_i; x_j ] = 2[tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex]e_ijk * x_k
from k= 1 to 3
for i = 1,2,3 and j= 1,2,3

where e_ijk = { 1 if(i,j,k) is (1,2,3),(2,3,1),(3,1,2)
-1 if (i,j,k) is (3,2,1),(1,3,2) or (2,1,3)
0 if i= j or j=k or k=1

For this do i basically do the same thing? is the relationship the same for the x1x2 + x2x1? And also say i do x1 and x2, I'm not sure what to choose for k

The commutator is defined as [A,B]=AB-BA.

The righthand side of the equation is

[tex]2\sqrt{-1}\sum_{k=1}^3 \epsilon_{ijk}x_k[/tex]

You're summing over k. You don't get to choose it.

Suppose i=1 and j=2, then [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=0[/itex] if k=1 or k=2, so the only term that will survive is the k=3 term. So you want to show

[tex][x_1,x_2] = 2\sqrt{-1}x_3[/tex]

Last edited:
oh! ok that makes sense. Thank you so much

1. What are anti-commutation relations in linear algebra?

Anti-commutation relations refer to a type of relationship between mathematical objects, such as vectors or matrices, in linear algebra. They state that the product of two objects will change sign if the order of the objects is reversed, and the objects themselves do not commute.

2. How do anti-commutation relations differ from commutation relations?

Commutation relations state that the order of objects does not affect the product, while anti-commutation relations state that the order does affect the product by changing its sign. In other words, commutation relations are similar to addition, while anti-commutation relations are similar to subtraction.

3. What is the significance of anti-commutation relations in linear algebra?

Anti-commutation relations are important in linear algebra because they help define the properties of mathematical objects, such as vectors and matrices. They also play a key role in the study of symmetry and quantum mechanics.

4. Can you give an example of anti-commutation relations in linear algebra?

One example of anti-commutation relations is the relationship between the Pauli matrices in quantum mechanics. The product of two of these matrices will change sign if the order is reversed, and they do not commute.

5. How are anti-commutation relations used in practical applications?

Anti-commutation relations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used in the study of quantum mechanics, signal processing, and error-correction in coding theory, among others.