Linear Algebra: given adj(A) find A

In summary, you are given the adjoint of a matrix, and are asked to find the matrix itself. You find that adj(adjA)=A in special cases, but that the general formula is adj(adj\mathbb A)=(det\mathbb A)^{n-2}\mathbb A. You also find that det(adjA)=1. Finally, you find that det A=\pm 1.
mbrmbrg
[SOLVED] Linear Algebra: given adj(A) find A

Homework Statement

If [tex]adj\mathbb A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&1\\1&-1&0\\0&2&1\end{array}\right)[/tex], find A. Briefly justify your algorithm.

Homework Equations

[tex]adj\mathbb A=(det\mathbb A)(\mathbb A^{-1})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]adj\mathbb A=(det\mathbb A)(\mathbb A^{-1})[/tex]
invert both sides to get:
[tex](adj\mathbb A)^{-1} = [(det\mathbb A)(\mathbb A^{-1})]^{-1}[/tex]
[tex](adj\mathbb A)^{-1} = (\mathbb A^{-1})^{-1}(det\mathbb A)^{-1}[/tex]
[tex](adj\mathbb A)^{-1} = (\mathbb A)(\frac{1}{det\mathbb A})[/tex]
[tex]\mathbb A = (det\mathbb A)(adj\mathbb A)^{-1}[/tex]

My, isn't that nice.

I computed [tex](adj\mathbb A)^{-1}[/tex], and found it to be
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1&2&1\\-1&1&1\\2&-2&-1\end{array}\right)[/tex]
But I have no clue how to find detA, so I'm stuck with one equation:
and two unknowns:
[tex]\mathbb A[/tex] and [tex]det\mathbb A[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:
I'm stuck with one equation:
and two unknowns:
[tex]\mathbb A[/tex] and [tex]det\mathbb A[/tex]
You have an equation involving A, and you need an equation involving det A... that should suggest something...

Are you aware that "adjoint" is a "dual" property?
that is, that the "adjoint of the adjoint of A" is A itself. You are given the adjoint of A and are asked to find A- just find the adjoint of the matrix you are given.

Hurkyl, did you mean for me to use HOI's formula, or did you have something else in mind? (and no, I'm not trying to mooch the answer :smile:)

Thanks, HallsofIvy! No, I had no idea that adj(adjA)=A. Did I ever know that...? Nope; can I derive it?
:much kerfuffle, then gives up and looks through notes:
Well, fancy that! I have played with adj(adjA) before, and found that it equals [tex](det\mathbb A)^{n-2}\mathbb A[/tex] (if you'd like to see the whole derivation, I'll type it up, but I did it a very long way and then we proved it differently in class, and got the same result)
Playing with it again (using [tex]adj\mathbb A=(det\mathbb A)(\mathbb A^{-1})[/tex]), I can't get adj(adjA)=A. Can it be derived using only that formula?
Thanks!

What exactly is your definition of adj(A)? (There are several equivalent definitions.) How you would prove that depends strongly on your definition of adjoint.

We defined adj(A) as the transpose of the cofactor matrix of A.

OK, I asked my professor about adj(adjA), and he said it only equals A in special cases. The general formula is [tex]adj(adj\mathbb A)=(det\mathbb A)^{n-2}\mathbb A[/tex], so you can be sure that it equals A when A is a 2x2 matrix.

Right, so basically, what I'm asking is: is there another method of finding A given adjA?

Thanks!

mbrmbrg said:
OK, I asked my professor about adj(adjA), and he said it only equals A in special cases. The general formula is [tex]adj(adj\mathbb A)=(det\mathbb A)^{n-2}\mathbb A[/tex], so you can be sure that it equals A when A is a 2x2 matrix.
There are other times you can solve that equation for A...

Hurkyl, I so have not been ignoring your help.
I just spent a couple of days randomly interrupting conversations with, "Hang on! I think I got it!" only to find that I hadn't got it, after all.
But now... da dum!
I was playing with my calculator, and I accidentally found the numeric value of det(adjA).
One thing led to another, and now: BEHOLD! (where's that emoticon with a brass brand when you need one?)

Given that for my matrix, det(adjA)=1.

I happen to know (well, my notes know it, but I could theoretically re-derive it, right?) that [itex]det(adj\mathbb A)=(det\mathbb A)^{n-1}[/itex].

So... [itex]1=(det\mathbb A)^{3-1}[/itex], or more simply [itex]det A=\pm 1[/itex]

At last, I can use that equation that I'm in love with, and say
[tex]\mathbb A^{-1}=\frac{adj\mathbb A}{det\mathbb A}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb A=(adj\mathbb A)^{-1}det\mathbb A[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb A=(adj\mathbb A)^{-1}(\pm 1)[/tex]

[tex]\mathbb A=(\pm1)\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1&2&1\\-1&1&1\\2&-2&-1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Which would explain why my professor gave me so much credit on the exam for finding the inverse of adjA and mumbling stuff.

Yay!

Thanks, people! :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of an adjoint matrix?

An adjoint matrix, also known as an adjugate matrix, is a square matrix that is obtained by taking the transpose of the cofactor matrix of a given square matrix. It is denoted as adj(A) or adjugate(A).

2. How is the adjoint matrix related to the original matrix?

The adjoint matrix is closely related to the original matrix. It is the transpose of the cofactor matrix of the original matrix. The cofactor matrix is obtained by replacing each element of the original matrix with its corresponding minor (determinant of the submatrix obtained by removing the row and column of that element). Therefore, the adjoint matrix contains the same information as the original matrix, but in a different form.

3. How do you find the adjoint matrix of a given matrix?

To find the adjoint matrix of a given matrix, you first need to calculate the cofactor matrix of the original matrix. Then, take the transpose of the cofactor matrix to obtain the adjoint matrix. Alternatively, you can use the formula adj(A) = (cof(A))^T, where cof(A) is the cofactor matrix of A.

4. What is the significance of the adjoint matrix in linear algebra?

The adjoint matrix has several important applications in linear algebra. It is used to find the inverse of a matrix, as the inverse of a square matrix A is given by A^-1 = (1/det(A)) * adj(A), where det(A) is the determinant of A. The adjoint matrix is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in calculating the determinant and rank of a matrix.

5. Can the adjoint matrix exist for all types of matrices?

No, the adjoint matrix only exists for square matrices. The dimensions of the adjoint matrix are always equal to the dimensions of the original matrix. Therefore, if the original matrix is not a square matrix, it does not have an adjoint matrix.