1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra: nonhomogeneous system

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A = [tex]\left( \begin{array}{l} \begin{array}{*{20}c} 0 & 1 & { - 1} \\ \end{array} \\ \begin{array}{*{20}c} 2 & 1 & 1 \\ \end{array} \\
    \end{array} \right)[/tex]. Suppose that for some b in [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex], [tex]p = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 1 \\ { - 1} \\ 1 \\ \end{array} } \right)[/tex] is one particular solution to the nonhomogeneous equation Ax = b. What is the general form of the solution to this equation (Ax = b)?

2. Relevant equations
    A relevant definition: A nonhomogeneous system is one with Ax = b, b is not equal to zero. A is a matrix and x and b are vectors.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since a homogeneous equation is Ax = 0, b = 0 in this particular question. Given p, I can presume that the general form of the solution will include p, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2
    The solution is:

[tex]\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    1 \\
    { - 1} \\
    1 \\

\end{array} } \right) + x_3 \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    { - 1} \\
    1 \\
    1 \\

\end{array} } \right),{\text{ }}x & _3 \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

But I can't make sense out of it.

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, first off you can verify that actually is a family of solutions, right?

You seem to think the homogeneous equation Ax=0 has some bearing; well, what is the solution space to Ax=0?

5. Mar 28, 2007 #4
    I'm guessing since it's in the solution, the solution space is contained in R, but I'm not sure how to verify that it is actually a family of solutions. I'm trying to understand the presentation of the solution in terms of two vectors, one being multiplied by x3 for some reason.

6. Mar 28, 2007 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Multiply it (on the left) by A. What do you get?

7. Mar 29, 2007 #6

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Given one solution and all the solutions to the respective homogeneous equation how do you find the solutions to the non-homogeneous equation?
    HINT: what happens if you add the two equations together?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?