Linear algebra orthogonal compliment

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the basis for an orthogonal compliment in a subspace, specifically in the example of S spanned by two vectors in R4. The person asking the question is unsure if they need to factor out the alpha's and beta's in their solution, and the respondent asks for clarification and for the person to show their work or final solution. The final solution is given as a basis of {(-2B-3a)^T,-B^T,a^T,B)}.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Hello, I took my quiz today, and had to find a basis for an orthogonal compliment,

would it be incorrect to not factor out the alphas and betas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you're asking. Please provide more details.

Did you factor out the gamma's too?

With pleasure.

Let S be the subspace of R4
spanned by x = (1;2;3;4)T
and y = (0;1;0;1)T

Find a basis of S orthogonal compliment

So I found the correct basis however I did not factor out the alpha's and betas. Since we had free variables.

I still have no idea what you mean with alpha's and beta's. Can you show me your work or your final solution?

x1+2x2+3x3+4x4=0
x2+x4=0

x3 and x4 are my free variables

setting x3=a
x4=B

We get x2=-B

x1-2B+3a+4B=0

x1=-2B-3a

basis would be {(-2B-3a)^T,-B^T,a^T,B)}

1. What is the definition of an orthogonal compliment in linear algebra?

An orthogonal compliment is the subspace of a vector space that is perpendicular to a given subspace. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that are orthogonal (or perpendicular) to every vector in the given subspace.

2. How can the orthogonal compliment be calculated?

The orthogonal compliment of a subspace can be calculated by finding the basis of the subspace and then using the Gram-Schmidt process to find a basis for the orthogonal compliment. Another method is to use the null space of the transpose of the matrix representation of the subspace.

3. What is the significance of the orthogonal compliment in linear algebra?

The orthogonal compliment is an important concept in linear algebra because it allows us to decompose a vector space into two perpendicular subspaces, which can make solving systems of linear equations and performing other operations easier. The orthogonal compliment is also used in applications such as data compression and dimensionality reduction.

4. Can the orthogonal compliment of a subspace be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the orthogonal compliment of a subspace to be empty. This can occur if the subspace is the entire vector space or if the subspace does not have a basis consisting of orthogonal vectors.

5. How is the orthogonal compliment related to the concept of orthogonality?

The concept of orthogonality is closely related to the orthogonal compliment. Two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is equal to zero, and the orthogonal compliment is the subspace of all vectors that are orthogonal to a given subspace. In other words, the orthogonal compliment is the set of all vectors that are orthogonal to every vector in the given subspace.