Linear Algebra Proofs for A^2=0 and p(A^2)<p(A)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a Linear Algebra question involving a matrix A of size nXn. It is proven that if A^2=0, then the columns of A are vectors in the solution space of the system Ax=0. It is also shown that the rank of A is greater than or equal to n/2. The conversation also discusses proving that if the rank of A^2 is less than the rank of A, then the system Ax=0 has a non-trivial solution and the system A^2x=0 has a non-zero solution. The speaker mentions having a general understanding of the solution but struggles with writing it using mathematical notation.
Anatolyz
Hello !
i try to solve Linear algebra question(but need be written properly as mathmatical proofs)
Having A matrice nXn:
1)proove that if A^2=0 the columns of matrice A are vectors in solution space of the system Ax=0 (x and 0 are vectors of course),and show that p(A)>=n/2
2)proove that if p(A^2)<p(A) (p in all cases here means: the rank of the vectors)
so the system Ax=o has a non trivial solution and the System A^2x=0 has solution y which is Ay≠0,,,,
I have the general clue but how write it right,math way i have big problem..
thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Anatolyz said:
Hello !
i try to solve Linear algebra question(but need be written properly as mathmatical proofs)
Having A matrice nXn:
1)proove that if A^2=0 the columns of matrice A are vectors in solution space of the system Ax=0 (x and 0 are vectors of course),and show that p(A)>=n/2
What is A(1, 0, 0...)T? A(0, 1, 0,...)T?, etc.

2)proove that if p(A^2)<p(A) (p in all cases here means: the rank of the vectors)
vectors don't have "ranks". I presume you mean the rank of A2 and A.

so the system Ax=o has a non trivial solution and the System A^2x=0 has solution y which is Ay≠0,,,,
I have the general clue but how write it right,math way i have big problem..
thank you very much
If you have a "general clue" please tell us what it is. Perhaps we can help with the mathematics notation for that. I started to give a hint but I suspect it may be just your "general clue".

for help

I would be happy to help you with your linear algebra proofs. Let's start with the first one:

1) To prove that if A^2=0, then the columns of matrice A are vectors in solution space of the system Ax=0, we can use the definition of matrix multiplication. Since A^2=0, we know that each entry of the matrix A^2 must be equal to 0. This means that for any vector x, we have (A^2)x=0. Using the definition of matrix multiplication, we can expand this to A(Ax)=0. Since the columns of A are the coefficients of the linear combination Ax, this means that each column of A must be a solution to the system Ax=0. Therefore, the columns of A are vectors in the solution space of the system Ax=0.

To show that p(A)>=n/2, we can use the fact that the rank of a matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent columns. Since we know that the columns of A are solutions to the system Ax=0, and there are at least n/2 columns (since A is a nXn matrix), the rank of A must be at least n/2. Therefore, p(A)>=n/2.

2) To prove that if p(A^2)<p(A), then the system Ax=0 has a non-trivial solution, we can use the fact that the rank of a matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent columns. If p(A^2)<p(A), this means that there are more linearly independent columns in A than in A^2. This implies that there must be at least one column in A that is not a linear combination of the columns of A^2. This column represents a non-trivial solution to the system Ax=0.

To show that the system A^2x=0 has a solution y which is Ay≠0, we can use the same logic as above. Since p(A^2)<p(A), there must be at least one linearly independent column in A^2 that is not a linear combination of the columns of A. This means that there exists a vector y such that A^2y=0, but Ay≠0. This vector y is a solution to the system A^2x=0, and since Ay≠0, it is

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations.

2. What are the common applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, model physical systems, and perform data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

3. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, and vector spaces. Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, while matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers. Linear transformations are functions that map one vector space to another, and vector spaces are sets of vectors that satisfy certain properties.

4. What are the methods for solving linear algebra problems?

There are several methods for solving linear algebra problems, including Gaussian elimination, matrix inversion, and eigenvalue decomposition. These methods involve manipulating matrices and using algebraic operations to find solutions to linear equations.

5. How is linear algebra related to other branches of mathematics?

Linear algebra is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as calculus, differential equations, and abstract algebra. It forms the basis for many advanced mathematical concepts and is often used in conjunction with other mathematical tools to solve complex problems.