Linear Algebra: Projection Theortical Problem

In summary: Well you can always find a plane which v would be in. I recommend just going with the definition of a projection on this one. Sorry I can't help any more, maybe someone else here can.
xenogizmo
Hey Everyone,
I have this question that's been giving me a hard time, I don't really know how to do it.

"Let A be an arbitrary vector. It may be projected along a direction V on the plane P with normal vector n. What is its image A` ?"

I know that A + lamda*V = A` , and that we have to do something with normal vector (perhaps a dot product with A` to eliminate lamda from the equation) to get a general formula for this situation, however I am unable to get an answer, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

A.Z.H

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\text{proj}_{\vec{v}}\vec{a}=\frac{\left(\vec{a},\vec{u}\right)}{\left(\vec{u},\vec{u}\right)}\,\vec{u}[/tex]

...where (x,y) is an inner product (a dot product in this case).

Last edited:
apmcavoy said:
[tex]\text{proj}_{\vec{v}}\vec{a}=\frac{\left(\vec{a},\vec{u}\right)}{\left(\vec{u},\vec{u}\right)}\hat{u}[/tex]

...where (x,y) is an inner product (a dot product in this case).

That's not really what's being asked in the question, we don't want the projection of A onto V, we just want an a general expression for projecting A on the plane by just adding a multipe of V to it.
Any ideas? :frown:

xenogizmo said:
Im sorry I didnt really understand what you solution meant, could you please phrase it a bit more clearly? And how did you obtain that result?
Thank you very much!

The component (the lenth of the "shadow" cast upon the vector v) will be equal to |a|cosθ (just use trig for that). This can be written in a more convenient form like so:

[tex]\text{comp}_{\vec{v}}\vec{a}=|a|\cos{\theta}=\frac{|a||v|\cos{\theta}}{|v|}=\frac{\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}}{|v|}[/tex]

...now you want to find the component, which is just the vector with the above magnitude in the direction of v. To do this, just multiply the component by the unit vector in the direction of v, which is:

[tex]\hat{v}=\frac{\vec{v}}{|v|}[/tex]

[tex]\text{proj}_{\vec{v}}\vec{a}=\frac{\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}}{|v|}\,\frac{\vec{v}}{|v|}=\frac{\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}}{\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}}\,\vec{v}[/tex]

...using the fact that [itex]|v|^2=\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex].

Do you understand?

xenogizmo said:
That's not really what's being asked in the question, we don't want the projection of A onto V, we just want an a general expression for projecting A on the plane by just adding a multipe of V to it.
Any ideas? :frown:

Since you changed your response since my last post:

If v is in the plane P and A is not, there is no way (that I know of) to just add a multiple of v to A and have the resulting vector be in P. It doesn't make sense geometrically (that multiple would have to have an infinite magnitude).

apmcavoy said:
Since you changed your response since my last post:

If v is in the plane P and A is not, there is no way (that I know of) to just add a multiple of v to A and have the resulting vector be in P. It doesn't make sense geometrically (that multiple would have to have an infinite magnitude).

Hmmmm, yes you are right, if it is in the plane it's impossible.
Im really sorry for all your trouble, I really appreciate your help!
But assuming V is not in the plane, would it be possible? :smile:

xenogizmo said:
Hmmmm, yes you are right, if it is in the plane it's impossible.
Im really sorry for all your trouble, I really appreciate your help!
But assuming V is not in the plane, would it be possible? :smile:

Well you can always find a plane which v would be in. I recommend just going with the definition of a projection on this one. Sorry I can't help any more, maybe someone else here can.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and vector spaces and their properties.

2. What is the Projection Theoretical Problem in Linear Algebra?

The Projection Theoretical Problem involves finding the best approximation of a vector onto a subspace. This problem is often encountered in applications such as data compression, signal processing, and machine learning.

3. What is a Projection Matrix?

A Projection Matrix is a square matrix that maps any vector onto a subspace by "projecting" it onto that subspace. It is used to solve the Projection Theoretical Problem by finding the orthogonal projection of a vector onto a subspace.

4. How is the Projection Theoretical Problem solved?

The Projection Theoretical Problem is solved by finding the projection matrix for the subspace onto which the vector needs to be projected. This can be done by using the Gram-Schmidt process or by solving a system of linear equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Projection Theoretical Problem in Linear Algebra?

The Projection Theoretical Problem has many applications in areas such as computer graphics, data compression, image processing, and machine learning. It is used to reduce the dimensionality of data, remove noise from signals, and improve the performance of algorithms.