Proofs of Basic Linear Algebra Concepts - A Guide for Beginners

In summary: Now let's consider two cases: first, when x, y are in W; and second, when x, y are in a subspace W of V.In the first case, we have(a+b)(x+y) = (a+b)x + (a+b)y by (VS 7) = (ax + bx) + (ay + by) In the second case, we have(a+b)(x+y) = (a+b)x + (a+b)y by
EbolaPox
Hello. I've been reading through Friebderg's Linear Algebra and doing some of the problem sets. I can do the problems with little problem, but I want to make sure my proofs are okay looking. These are pretty basic though. I'm pretty sure I got the first one, just want to make sure that's right. The second one I need a bit of suggetsions on.

Thank you : )

1: In any vector space V, show that [tex](a+b)(x+y) = ax + ay + bx + by[/tex], where x,y [tex] \in V[/tex] and a,b [tex] \in R [/tex] (a, b scalars.)

Proof:
Let c = a+b

c(x+y) = cx + cy By Axiom 7 that states "a(x+y) = ax + ay, scalar a, and x,y, in V".

Next, I said c = a+b, so by another Axiom that states (a+b)x = ax + bx

(a+b)x + (a+b)y = ax + bx + ay + by
That should complete the proof. I think that's right.

Next one is one I'm not too sure if myproof is correct/clear. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

2: If W is a subspace of V and [tex] x_1, x_2, ...x_n \in W [/tex] Prove that [tex] a_1 x_1 + a_2 x_2 ... a_n x_n \in W [/tex] ([tex] a_n [/tex] is a scalar real number.)

Proof:

By a theorem earlier in the chapter, I first noted that for W to be a vector space V, then

A:[tex] x +y \in W | x,y \in W [/tex]
and
B:[tex] ax \in W [/tex] whenever a is a scalar and [tex] x \in W [/tex]

So, here was how my poorly constructed argument went.

I already know that W is a subspace of V, I just want to show that linear combination above is also in W.

Let me arbitrarily choose a vector in that linear combination, I'll denote it [tex] a_i x_i [/tex], 1 <= i <= n. I know that this must be in W, as that is stated by B in the previous theorem mentioned.

So, we know that each of those [tex] a_i x_i [/tex] in the linear combination themselves are vectors in W. This gets me a step closer to showing the sum itself is.

Now, Let me denote any [tex] a_i x_i = y [/tex]. Now, I know that [tex] y_1 + y_2 \in W [/tex] as that is stated by the part A of the previously mentioned theorem. So, I can now say that the sum of any two of the [tex] a_i x_i [/tex] in that linear combination is in W. Now, If I know that the sum of two of those is in W, I can consider that a new element of W called Z then add another [tex] a_i x_i [/tex]. This will also be in W, as it is the sum of two vectors already in W. It is clear that continuing this adding process of the elemnts of W is producing elements within W. So, I can continue this repetively until all the elements in that linear combination are summed and I have a vector X which is in the element W that is that linear combination.

This sounds rather wordy, and I'm concerned that it isn't rigorous enough. Anyone have any ideas? Does my argument even work? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first proof looks good. Two suggestions. First, you don't need all those intermediate variables. For example, instead of defining c=a+b and saying c(x+y)=cx+cy, just treat a+b as a scalar (which it is), so that you can say (a+b)(x+y) = (a+b)x+(a+b)y. You do this a few other places as well. Second, to make the second part more rigorous, you should use induction. That is, assume the sum of the first k elements belongs to W and show this means the sum of the first k+1 belong to W as well. Then show the initial case and you'll be done.

Thank you for the reply. I like the idea of trying it by induction. I'll give htat a shot. I'll work on it. If I make any progress, I'll post it. Thanks for the suggestion : )

You're first proof is incorrect, but you had the right idea. I'll quote the vector space axioms straight from the text for you(from the 4th edition).

Here's a proof.

Suppose we have some vectors x, y in V and scalars a, b in R, then
(a + b)(x + y) = (a + b)x + (a + b)y by (VS 7)
= (ax + bx) + (ay + by) by (VS 8)
= ax + (bx +(ay + by)) by (VS 2)
= ax + ((bx + ay) + by) by (VS 2)
= ax + ((ay + bx) + by) by (VS 1)
= ax + ay + bx + by.
Since x, y in V and a, b in R were arbitrary, this holds for all x, y in V and all a, b in R.

Try to follow this, the only tricky part might be where (VS 2) is used. Also the question in my text says any field F(maybe a different edition). Hope that helps.

Edit yet again: Another problem(if you have the 4th edition) that is similar to this one in the sense you are proving really basic properties about vector spaces, is #9 where it asks you to prove Corollaries 1 and 2 of Theorem 1.1 and Theorem 1.2(c). This is good practice.

Last edited:

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It is used to solve systems of equations and analyze geometric concepts in multiple dimensions.

2. What is the purpose of proving Linear Algebra concepts?

The purpose of proving Linear Algebra concepts is to provide a rigorous and logical explanation for why the concepts and theorems in Linear Algebra work. It helps to deepen our understanding and confidence in using these concepts in a variety of applications.

3. How do you approach a Linear Algebra proof?

When approaching a Linear Algebra proof, it is important to first understand the definitions and theorems relevant to the problem. Then, break down the proof into smaller steps and use logical reasoning to connect each step. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or use examples to visualize the problem.

4. What are some common techniques used in Linear Algebra proofs?

Some common techniques used in Linear Algebra proofs include using the properties of vector spaces, matrix operations, and linear transformations. Other techniques may include using mathematical induction, contradiction, or direct proof.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving Linear Algebra concepts?

The best way to improve your skills in proving Linear Algebra concepts is to practice regularly. Start with simpler proofs and gradually move on to more challenging ones. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in understanding and mastering proof techniques.