Linear algebra:Prove that the only invertible nxn idempotent matrix is I

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find an invertible nxn matrix that is the identity matrix, but is not sure about the properties of indempotent matrices.
RossH

Homework Statement

Prove that the only invertible nxn idempotent matrix is the identity matrix.

Homework Equations

idempotent: given an nxn matrix, A^2=A
invertible: There exists a matrix B such that AB=BA=I
I, or identity matrix: for all matrices A, AI=IA=A

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I haven't gotten very far:
Suppose A is an nxn matrix.
For A to be invertible there exists a matrix B such that AB=BA=I.
For A to be idempotent A^2=A.
Otherwise, I've kind of mulled it over and gotten this far:
To be
invertible it has to have a determinant != 0. So, I think that I have
to show that the determinant of everything else that is indempotent is
0, which would mean widely defining the criteria for a matrix to be
indempotent and showing that the two are mutually exclusive. The
problem is I'm not quite sure about the properties of indempotent
matrices and, since we don't have a formula for the determinant of a
given nxn matrix, I'm not quite sure what to do.
So far, I have not covered and am not allowed to use rank or eigenvalues in my class.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're overthinking the problem. You have one equation, [itex]A^2=A[/itex], and you know [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] exists. Think of how to solve for A.

vela said:
You're overthinking the problem. You have one equation, [itex]A^2=A[/itex], and you know [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] exists. Think of how to solve for A.

I know that A^2=A
If I multiply both sides by A^(-1) I get: A=I
Is that it? Does that show that it is universally true or that that is just one possibility?

Yeah, that's it. It holds for all A that are idempotent and invertible. You're not doing anything weird or wrong that opens up the possibility of additional solutions.

You're probably worried about something along the lines of solving x^2=x, right? If you divide both sides by x, you get x=1, and you lose the solution x=0. The reason you lose x=0 is because it doesn't have a multiplicative inverse, so you can't justify the step of dividing by x when x=0. If you were, however, told that x has a multiplicative inverse, you'd know that x=1 is the only allowed solution. Well, that's essentially what you're being told here. The matrix A is invertible, so its multiplicative inverse [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] exists and you're justified in "dividing by A" to solve the equation.

vela said:
Yeah, that's it. It holds for all A that are idempotent and invertible. You're not doing anything weird or wrong that opens up the possibility of additional solutions.

You're probably worried about something along the lines of solving x^2=x, right? If you divide both sides by x, you get x=1, and you lose the solution x=0. The reason you lose x=0 is because it doesn't have a multiplicative inverse, so you can't justify the step of dividing by x when x=0. If you were, however, told that x has a multiplicative inverse, you'd know that x=1 is the only allowed solution. Well, that's essentially what you're being told here. The matrix A is invertible, so its multiplicative inverse [itex]A^{-1}[/itex] exists and you're justified in "dividing by A" to solve the equation.

Oh, good point. Thank you very much for the help.

1. What is an idempotent matrix?

An idempotent matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied by itself, results in the same matrix. In other words, the matrix remains unchanged after repeated multiplication.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to be invertible?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has an inverse, meaning it can be multiplied by another matrix to produce the identity matrix. This is equivalent to saying that the determinant of the matrix is non-zero.

3. How can we prove that the only invertible nxn idempotent matrix is the identity matrix (I)?

We can prove this by assuming that there exists another invertible idempotent matrix, say A, and then using the properties of idempotent and invertible matrices to show that A must be equal to the identity matrix I.

4. What are the properties of an idempotent matrix?

Some properties of an idempotent matrix include: it must be square, its eigenvalues can only be 0 or 1, and it must have at least one eigenvector associated with each eigenvalue.

5. Why is this theorem important in linear algebra?

This theorem is important in linear algebra because it helps us understand and simplify systems of linear equations. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.