Proving Consistency in Linear Systems: The Case of Three Equations

In summary, for the system of equations with variables x, y, and z to have at least one solution, the values of a, b, and c must satisfy the equation c = a + b. This can be proven by setting up the matrix system and showing that the rank of the coefficient matrix must equal the rank of the augmented matrix in order for the system to have a solution. This can be achieved by getting the matrix to row-echelon form.
CaityAnn
I have three systems of equations:
x+y+2z=a , x+z= b and 2x+y+3z=c
Show that in order for this system to have at least one solution, a,b,c must satisfy c=a+b.

Obviously I can add the equations a and b and get c. But I don't know how else to approach showing this. I think the points of x,y,z of c must satisfy both a,b and provide a solution set for both but I am not sure how to prove that. HELP PLEASE~!

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix system is:

[tex] \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 2 & a \\
1 & 0 & 1 & b \\
2 & 1 & 3 & c \\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The system has at least one solution if the rank of the coefficient matrix equals the rank of the augmented matrix. Get the matrix to row-echleon form.

Last edited:

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations using vectors and matrices. It involves the manipulation and analysis of these mathematical objects to solve various problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What are some real-life applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has many practical applications, including image and signal processing, data compression, computer graphics, and machine learning. It is also used in economics, social sciences, and statistics to model and analyze systems and relationships.

3. What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, linear transformations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are essential in understanding and solving problems in this field.

4. What skills are necessary for understanding Linear Algebra?

A strong foundation in algebra and calculus is necessary for understanding Linear Algebra. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of geometry, as many concepts in Linear Algebra are geometric in nature. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and logical reasoning skills are important for success in this subject.

5. How can Linear Algebra be used in data analysis?

Linear Algebra can be used in data analysis to manipulate and analyze large sets of data. It is used to find patterns, relationships, and trends in data, as well as to reduce the dimensionality of data for easier processing. Linear Algebra techniques such as regression, principal component analysis, and singular value decomposition are commonly used in data analysis.