1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra question

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1
    if one is presented with an n x n where n = 4.

What is the rule called which allows the i'th row and the j'th column to be removed from the matrix in order to make calculating the determinant easier ?

Secondly if one wants to square [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 2 & 5 & 7 & 6 \\ 2 & 9 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & -2 & 1 \\ 6 & 7 & 1 & -5\end{array}\right ] ^2[/tex]

Do I square every element of matrix individually ?

/Bob

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you are talking about is "expansion by minors". The (n-1) x(n-1) matrix you get by removing the "i'th row and j'th column is the "minor" at that point. Choose any one row or column, calculate the minor for each element in that row or column. The determinant is the sum of the product of the element itself times its minor times either plus or minus one, depending on whether i+j is even or odd.

No!! squaring a matrix means multiplying the matrix by itself, not the individual elements. You won't be able to square a matrix if you don't know how to multiply two matrices. The simplest way to remember that is to think of each row of the first matrix and each column of the second as "vectors". The i, j element of the product is the dot product of the ith row of the first matrix and the jth column of the second.

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Bob may have been asking about row/column transformations to simplify the evaluation of a determinant.

5. Aug 19, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't. He specifically said "which allows the i'th row and the j'th column to be removed from the matrix". That's the "expansion by minors", not "row reduction".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?