1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Show it's a vector space question

1. Jul 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Define V =R with vector addition a+b=ab and scalar multiplication za=a^z.
    Show that V is a vector space.

2. Relevant equations
    a+b=ab, za=a^z

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to check all the axioms but one, the additive inverse axiom where for all v in V there exists a... -v in V such that v+(-v)= 0. So far I have this: a+0=a(0)=0. In this case I believe 0 is the additive inverse.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a(0) = 0 =/= a. So 0 is not the additive identity.

For the purposes of this thread, I propose using + and * to represent the addition and multiplication in the vector space (as opposed to canonical addition and multiplication in R) in order to avoid confusion

4. Jul 2, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

While there is a single additive identity (and it is NOT 0), each member of V has a different additive inverse. The definition of "additive identity" (I will call it "O" for the moment) is that "a+ O= a". Here, "addition" of vectors is defined as the product of the numbers: "a+ b= ab" above. Therefore, "a+ O"= aO= a. What number is O?

However, I see a distince problem with this as stated. What is the additive inverse of the number 0? Also, if scalar multiplication is defined by za= az, what is (1/2)(-4)? Are you sure you were not supposed to take V= R+, the set of positive real numbers?

5. Jul 7, 2009 #4
    yeah I'm sure. would I be able to use 1/a for O then?

6. Jul 7, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, of course, not! There must be a single number, O, such that a"+" O= a. The additive identity cannot depend on what a is. Here, "+" is defined as "times: a"+" O= aO= a so O= 1. In that case, the additive inverse, "-a", must be such that a"+" ("-a")= O which now is interpreted as a("-a")= 1 or "-a"= 1/a. As I said in my first response, "While there is a single additive identity (and it is NOT 0), each member of V has a different additive inverse". The additive inverse of a is 1/a. That does NOT exist for a= 0 so this does NOT define a vector space.

If you restrict the set of vectors to the positive numbers only, then you have a vector space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook