1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra: transformations

1. Oct 26, 2006 #1
    Hello, I'll be online until I get this one completely figured out, so baby steps are for the win here.

Let L1:U->V and L2:U->W be linear transformations, and let L = L2 * L1 be the mapping defined by:

L(u) = L2(L1(u))

for each u which lies in U. Show that L is a linear transformation mapping U into W.

So basically, should I first show that L1(u) is a valid linear transform?, and then show that L2, is, too?
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Hm, I believe it's enough to assume L1 and L2 are linear transformations, and then proove that L is one, too.
  4. Oct 26, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is L2 from U to W or from V to W?
  5. Oct 26, 2006 #4
    V to W! thank you for that!
    What about this? (in progress (latex noobie))

[tex]L(u) = L_2 (L_1 (u) )}[/tex]

[tex]L(u_1 + u_2) = L_2 (L_1 (u_1 + u_2) )}[/tex]

[tex]L(\alpha u_1 + \beta u_2) = L_2 (L_1 (\alpha u_1 + \beta u_2) )}[/tex]

[tex]L(\alpha u_1 + \beta u_2) = L_2 (\alpha L_1(u_1) + \beta L_1 (u_2) )}[/tex]

[tex]L(\alpha u_1 + \beta u_2) = \alpha L_2 (L_1(u_1)) + \beta L_2 (L_1(u_2)) [/tex]

[tex]\alpha L(u_1)+ \beta L(u_2) = \alpha L_2 (L_1(u_1)) + \beta L_2 (L_1(u_2)) [/tex]

Is this on the right track? If so, should I break it up into two pieces, and show that L1(u) is surely a mapping into V, and then show that L2(v) is surely a mapping into W?

Or am I way off
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  6. Oct 27, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's exactly right. Now all you have to do is note that
    [tex]L_2(L_1(u_1))= L(u_1)[/tex]
    [tex]L_2(L_1(u_2))= L(u_2)[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?