1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a)Let A be an n*n invertible matrix. Show that the inverse of the transpose of a matrix (A^{T}) is (A⁻¹)^{T}

b)Let A,B, 2A+B be n×n matrices.Show that A⁻¹+2B⁻¹ is also invertible and express (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹ in terms of A, B and (2A+B)⁻¹

2. Relevant equations

I have done part a. I have been stuck on part b for a while. I have tried everything i can think of.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried revamping
    (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)=I
    (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹A⁻¹+ (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹2B⁻¹=I
    (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹=(I-(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹2B⁻¹)A
    Then simplified it, but the result is not in terms of the matrix (2A+B)⁻¹,A and B.
    This question really has me stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi oddiseas! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Hint: start with the result :wink:, and see what values of p q and r make it work …

multiply (A-1 + 2B-1) by pA + qB + r(2A + B)-1

what do you get? :smile:

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    I have multiplied (A⁻¹+B⁻¹) by what you have suggested and i get:

p+2q+qBA⁻¹+2pAB⁻¹+r(2A²+BA)⁻¹+r(2B²+4AB)⁻¹

But i still cannot see the logic. This question just seems to get longer and longer!
    Could you explain to me the logic in how i should approach this question.

5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It said (2B^(-1)+A^(-1))^(-1) is a combination of the given matrices. It didn't say it was a linear combination. You just have to fool around with combinations. Hint: what is A^(-1)*(2A+B)*B^(-1)?

6. Mar 27, 2010 #5
    Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot. Your'e a superstar! I will work on that and see what i can get, and then post it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook