Solving Part b of an Invertible Matrix Homework Statement

In summary, Inverse of matrix A is (A⁻¹)^{T} where T is the transpose. Equation for (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹ is also invertible and is expressed as (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹A⁻¹+ (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹2B⁻¹. However, the result is not in terms of the matrix (2A+B)⁻¹,A and B. This question really has me stumped.
oddiseas

Homework Statement

a)Let A be an n*n invertible matrix. Show that the inverse of the transpose of a matrix (A^{T}) is (A⁻¹)^{T}

b)Let A,B, 2A+B be n×n matrices.Show that A⁻¹+2B⁻¹ is also invertible and express (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹ in terms of A, B and (2A+B)⁻¹

Homework Equations

I have done part a. I have been stuck on part b for a while. I have tried everything i can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried revamping
(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)=I
(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹A⁻¹+ (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹2B⁻¹=I
(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹=(I-(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹2B⁻¹)A
Then simplified it, but the result is not in terms of the matrix (2A+B)⁻¹,A and B.
This question really has me stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi oddiseas! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
oddiseas said:
b)Let A,B, 2A+B be n×n matrices.Show that A⁻¹+2B⁻¹ is also invertible and express (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹ in terms of A, B and (2A+B)⁻¹

I have tried revamping
(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)=I
(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹A⁻¹+ (A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹2B⁻¹=I
(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹=(I-(A⁻¹+2B⁻¹)⁻¹2B⁻¹)A
Then simplified it, but the result is not in terms of the matrix (2A+B)⁻¹,A and B.
This question really has me stumped.

Hint: start with the result :wink:, and see what values of p q and r make it work …

multiply (A-1 + 2B-1) by pA + qB + r(2A + B)-1

what do you get? :smile:

I have multiplied (A⁻¹+B⁻¹) by what you have suggested and i get:

p+2q+qBA⁻¹+2pAB⁻¹+r(2A²+BA)⁻¹+r(2B²+4AB)⁻¹

But i still cannot see the logic. This question just seems to get longer and longer!
Could you explain to me the logic in how i should approach this question.

oddiseas said:
I have multiplied (A⁻¹+B⁻¹) by what you have suggested and i get:

p+2q+qBA⁻¹+2pAB⁻¹+r(2A²+BA)⁻¹+r(2B²+4AB)⁻¹

But i still cannot see the logic. This question just seems to get longer and longer!
Could you explain to me the logic in how i should approach this question.

It said (2B^(-1)+A^(-1))^(-1) is a combination of the given matrices. It didn't say it was a linear combination. You just have to fool around with combinations. Hint: what is A^(-1)*(2A+B)*B^(-1)?

Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot. Your'e a superstar! I will work on that and see what i can get, and then post it.

1. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique solution for every system of linear equations. This means that the matrix can be manipulated (through row operations) to produce an identity matrix, where all the diagonal elements are 1 and all other elements are 0.

2. Why is it important to solve for the inverse of a matrix?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is important because it allows us to solve for unknown variables in a system of equations, which is essential for many applications in mathematics, science, and engineering. It also helps us to simplify complex calculations and make them more efficient.

3. What is the process for solving for the inverse of a matrix?

The process for solving for the inverse of a matrix involves using row operations to manipulate the original matrix into an identity matrix. This can be done through techniques such as Gaussian elimination or Gauss-Jordan elimination. Once the identity matrix is obtained, the inverse of the original matrix is found by applying the same row operations to an identity matrix.

4. Are there any special cases when solving for the inverse of a matrix?

Yes, there are special cases when solving for the inverse of a matrix. One special case is when the original matrix is a singular matrix, meaning it does not have an inverse. Another special case is when the original matrix is a diagonal matrix, in which case the inverse can be found by simply taking the reciprocal of each diagonal element.

5. Can a matrix have more than one inverse?

No, a matrix can only have one inverse. This is because the inverse of a matrix is unique and there can only be one set of row operations that will produce an identity matrix. If there were multiple inverses, it would mean there are multiple ways to manipulate the matrix into an identity matrix, which is not possible.