1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear approximation and rational numbers

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use linear approximation to approximate sqrt((3.2)^2 + 2(2.1) + (4.3)^2)

with a rational number (a ratio of integers).

2. Relevant equations

f(x,y) = sqrt(x^2 + 2y + z^2)
    f(x,y) = (x^2 + 2y + z^2)^1/2

3. The attempt at a solution

x = 3 ∆x = 2/10
    y = 2 ∆y = 1/10
    z = 4 ∆z = 3/10

≈ sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2) + [3/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (2/10) + [2/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (1/10) + [4/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (3/10)

≈ [sqrt(29)] + [6/sqrt(29)(10)] + [2/sqrt(29)(10)] + [12/sqrt(29)(10)]

I'm not sure where to go from here to simplify it down to a single ratio. Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The estimate should probably be to 1 decimal place, since that's the precision that your numbers seem to be given to. The estimate will be between 5 and 6, based on a quick mental calculation. If you end up with, say, 5.6, that is a rational number. Any decimal fraction that terminates is a rational number.
    Your function has three variables, so it should be f(x, y, z) = ...
    You have omitted the crucial step of finding ∆f, which involves the first partials with respect to x, y, and z, and the increments, ∆x, ∆y, and ∆z.

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    Mark, I have been going through this problem as in my notes and I'm not quite sure what I omitted. Could you expand on that? Or show the step I omitted?

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sure. You want to approximate f(x + ∆x, y + ∆y, z + ∆y), which is approximately equal to
    f(x, y, z) + fx(x, y, z) ∆x + fy(x, y, z) ∆y + fz(x, y, z) ∆z

In this formula, x, y, and z are the values 3, 2, and 4, ∆x, ∆y, and ∆z are .2, .1, and .3 (it's silly to write them as 2/10, 1/10, and 3/10), and fx(x, y, z) is the partial of f, with respect to x, evaluated at x, y, z. Similar for the other two partials.

This estimate is the three-dimension counter part to linear approximations for functions of one variable, f(x). For such a function, f(x0 + ∆x) [itex]\approx[/itex] f(xx0) + f'(x0)∆x. Here x0 is the base x-value at which the function and its derivative are easy to evaluate. I used x0 here but not in what I showed for the function of your problem. There is no difference intended between x0 here and plain old x in the earlier bit I wrote.

Clear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook