Linear approximation and rational numbers

In summary, the homework statement is that you should use linear approximation to approximate sqrt((3.2)^2 + 2(2.1) + (4.3)^2) with a rational number (a ratio of integers). The estimated value is between 5 and 6.
camino

Homework Statement

Use linear approximation to approximate sqrt((3.2)^2 + 2(2.1) + (4.3)^2)

with a rational number (a ratio of integers).

Homework Equations

f(x,y) = sqrt(x^2 + 2y + z^2)
f(x,y) = (x^2 + 2y + z^2)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 3 ∆x = 2/10
y = 2 ∆y = 1/10
z = 4 ∆z = 3/10

≈ sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2) + [3/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (2/10) + [2/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (1/10) + [4/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (3/10)

≈ [sqrt(29)] + [6/sqrt(29)(10)] + [2/sqrt(29)(10)] + [12/sqrt(29)(10)]

I'm not sure where to go from here to simplify it down to a single ratio. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
camino said:

Homework Statement

Use linear approximation to approximate sqrt((3.2)^2 + 2(2.1) + (4.3)^2)

with a rational number (a ratio of integers).
The estimate should probably be to 1 decimal place, since that's the precision that your numbers seem to be given to. The estimate will be between 5 and 6, based on a quick mental calculation. If you end up with, say, 5.6, that is a rational number. Any decimal fraction that terminates is a rational number.
camino said:

Homework Equations

f(x,y) = sqrt(x^2 + 2y + z^2)
f(x,y) = (x^2 + 2y + z^2)^1/2
Your function has three variables, so it should be f(x, y, z) = ...
camino said:

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 3 ∆x = 2/10
y = 2 ∆y = 1/10
z = 4 ∆z = 3/10

≈ sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2) + [3/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (2/10) + [2/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (1/10) + [4/sqrt(3^2 + 2(2) + 4^2)] (3/10)
You have omitted the crucial step of finding ∆f, which involves the first partials with respect to x, y, and z, and the increments, ∆x, ∆y, and ∆z.
camino said:
≈ [sqrt(29)] + [6/sqrt(29)(10)] + [2/sqrt(29)(10)] + [12/sqrt(29)(10)]

I'm not sure where to go from here to simplify it down to a single ratio. Am I on the right track?

Mark, I have been going through this problem as in my notes and I'm not quite sure what I omitted. Could you expand on that? Or show the step I omitted?

Sure. You want to approximate f(x + ∆x, y + ∆y, z + ∆y), which is approximately equal to
f(x, y, z) + fx(x, y, z) ∆x + fy(x, y, z) ∆y + fz(x, y, z) ∆z

In this formula, x, y, and z are the values 3, 2, and 4, ∆x, ∆y, and ∆z are .2, .1, and .3 (it's silly to write them as 2/10, 1/10, and 3/10), and fx(x, y, z) is the partial of f, with respect to x, evaluated at x, y, z. Similar for the other two partials.

This estimate is the three-dimension counter part to linear approximations for functions of one variable, f(x). For such a function, f(x0 + ∆x) [itex]\approx[/itex] f(xx0) + f'(x0)∆x. Here x0 is the base x-value at which the function and its derivative are easy to evaluate. I used x0 here but not in what I showed for the function of your problem. There is no difference intended between x0 here and plain old x in the earlier bit I wrote.

Clear?

What is linear approximation?

Linear approximation is a method used in calculus to approximate the value of a function near a specific point. It involves finding the equation of the tangent line at that point and using it to estimate the function's value.

How is linear approximation useful in real life?

Linear approximation is useful in fields such as engineering and physics where accurate estimations of values are necessary. It can also be used to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with.

What are rational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero. They can be written as fractions or as terminating or repeating decimals.

Are all rational numbers also integers?

No, not all rational numbers are integers. Integers are whole numbers (positive, negative, or zero) while rational numbers can also include fractions and decimals.

How do you compare rational numbers?

Rational numbers can be compared using the order of operations (PEMDAS) and by converting them to a common denominator. The number with the greater numerator is considered larger. For decimal representations, the number with the higher value in the tenths place is larger.