Linear Approximation With Trigonometry

In summary, the cosine of $30^{\circ}$ is approximately $0.85$, while the cosine of $-28^{\circ}$ is approximately $-1.97$.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have just a few more questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

I'm only asking about 1ab, ignore 2abc please:
08b1167bae0c33982682_20.jpg

So for the first one, I used cos(30) as the estimated value to approximate L(28). Then I converted it to radians to get $\pi$/6

Knowing that f'(x) = -sin(x), I calculated L(x):

L(x) = √ (3)/2 + (1/2)(x- $\pi$/6) which ultimately gave me 0.85 for L(28). I'm highly doubtful that this is the right answer though as there may be an exact value response which I may have missed.

As for 1b, I took x=0 this time since e^(-0.00015) is close to one, similarly to e^0 . As such, I took L(x) with that estimation and got:

L(-0.0015) = 1,997/2,000Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1a) Yes, converting to radians is what you want to do here. For small $\Delta x$, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta f}{\Delta x}\approx\d{f}{x}\)

\(\displaystyle \Delta f\approx\d{f}{x}\Delta x\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(x+\Delta x\right)-f(x)\approx\d{f}{x}\Delta x\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(x+\Delta x\right)\approx\d{f}{x}\Delta x+f(x)\)

Now, if we define:

\(\displaystyle f(x)\equiv\cos(x)\implies f^{\prime}(x)=-\sin(x)\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(x+\Delta x\right)\approx-\sin(x)\Delta x+\cos(x)\)

Now, letting:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{\pi}{6},\,\Delta x=-\frac{\pi}{90}\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(\frac{\pi}{6}-\frac{\pi}{90}\right)\approx-\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{6}\right)\cdot\frac{\pi}{90}+\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{6}\right)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \cos\left(28^{\circ}\right)\approx\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}-\frac{\pi}{180}\)

Your value is correct to two decimal places.

1b) Using the same method, we may begin with:

\(\displaystyle f\left(x+\Delta x\right)\approx\d{f}{x}\Delta x+f(x)\)

If we define:

\(\displaystyle f(x)\equiv e^x\implies f^{\prime}=f(x)\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle e^{x+\Delta x}\approx e^x\Delta x+e^x\)

Now, letting:

\(\displaystyle x=0,\,\Delta x=-0.0015\)

we obtain:

\(\displaystyle e^{-0.0015}\approx1-0.0015=\frac{1997}{2000}\)

So, our answers agree. :D

Related to Linear Approximation With Trigonometry

1. What is linear approximation with trigonometry?

Linear approximation with trigonometry is a method used to approximate the value of a trigonometric function at a point by using the tangent line to the function at that point. This method is useful when calculating the value of a trigonometric function at points that are close to known points.

2. How do you use linear approximation with trigonometry?

To use linear approximation with trigonometry, you first need to find the tangent line to the function at the point of interest. You can then use the slope of the tangent line and the known value of the function at the point to calculate an approximate value for the function at the point of interest.

3. What is the formula for linear approximation with trigonometry?

The formula for linear approximation with trigonometry is y = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a), where f(a) is the known value of the function at the point a and f'(a) is the derivative of the function at the point a. This formula can also be written as y = f(a) + (dy/dx)(x-a).

4. What are the limitations of linear approximation with trigonometry?

Linear approximation with trigonometry is only accurate for values of x that are close to the known point a. If the value of x is too far from a, the approximation will become less accurate. Additionally, this method can only be used for functions that are differentiable at the point of interest.

5. How is linear approximation with trigonometry used in real life?

Linear approximation with trigonometry is used in many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and other sciences. It is used to estimate values for complicated trigonometric functions that are difficult to calculate by hand. For example, it can be used to approximate the trajectory of a projectile or the behavior of a circuit. It is also used in numerical methods to solve differential equations.