Solving Linear Damping Model Homework

In summary: I have been trying to understand how to find the particular solution for a differential equation, but I keep getting error messages. Can you please help?In summary, Homework Equations: I used the forces of the spring, damping and weight to find the equation of motion. The equation of motion varies depending on the value of the dot product of y and x.
bobred

Homework Statement

I am asked to write down the equation of motion of [tex]m[/tex] with respect to O, hence show that [tex]x(t)[/tex] satisfies the differential equation.

[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=mg+kl_0+m\ddot{y}[/tex]

See attached diagram.

Homework Equations

I have the force of the spring H, the Damping R and the weight W as

[tex]\bold{H}=k(x-y-l_0)\bold{i}[/tex]
[tex]\bold{R}=r\dot{x}\bold{i}[/tex]
[tex]\bold{W}=-mg\bold{i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above forces and [tex]\bold{F}=m\ddot{x}[/tex], what I get is
[tex]m\ddot{x}-r\dot{x}-kx=-mg-kl_0-ky[/tex]

I take it I am asked to find the general solution? Where does the [tex]m\ddot{y}[/tex] come from? Do I have the forces correct?

Thanks, James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that y(t) is known function of time.
So coordinate of m is
X=y(t)+d-x
and
mX''=F
m(y''(t)-x'')=F
as y(t) is known function
-mx''=F-my''(t).

Thanks, so this would give me

[tex]-m\ddot{x}-r\dot{x}-kx=-mg-kl_0-m\ddot{y}[/tex] and multiplying both sides by -1

[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=mg+kl_0+m\ddot{y}[/tex]

Ok, so how would I find the particular integral seeing that the [tex]m\ddot{y}[/tex] term is present? Would it be the standard trial solution of [tex]P\cos(\Omega t) + Q\sin(\Omega t)[/tex]?

Thanks, James

[tex]\ddot{y}[/tex] or further conditions of the motion must be given. Otherwise, it is unsolvable.

Can we obtain a general solution? Or because we don't know exactly the roots of the complementary function we cannot get the particular solution?

Also is multiplying the equation of motion by -1 valid?

Thanks

bobred said:
Can we obtain a general solution? Or because we don't know exactly the roots of the complementary function we cannot get the particular solution?

Also is multiplying the equation of motion by -1 valid?

Thanks

I'm not sure if there is a general solution.
If [tex]\ddot{y}=const[/tex] then [tex]x=Ae^{at}cos(\omega t+\phi)+C[/tex].
If [tex]\ddot{y}=Ycos(\Omega t)[/tex] then [tex]x=Ae^{at}cos(\omega t+\phi)+Bcos(\Omega t + \Phi)+C[/tex].
So the solution varies depending on [tex]\ddot{y}[/tex]. Anyway the problem only asks you to deduce the equation, not to solve it. And multipyling the equation by any number is always valid.

Hi

I was pre-empting things a little. The course text has a similar example, I have adapted it slightly.

I am given [tex]y=a\cos(\Omega t)[/tex] so [tex]m\ddot{y}=-ma\Omega^{2}\cos(\Omega t)[/tex]? So let [tex]P=ma\Omega^{2}[/tex] changing the origin to the equilibrium position we have

[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=-P\cos(\Omega t)[/tex]

The text goes on to find the coefficients of the trial solution [tex]B\cos(\Omega t)+C\sin(\Omega t)[/tex] in terms of r, k, m etc starting out with [tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=P\cos(\Omega t)[/tex] Is what I have done so far ok?

Thanks, James

The solution given by the text only describes the motion in steady state. You may look at my previous post for the general solution :)

Thanks

Just one last thing, is what I have done with

[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=y(t)[/tex]

to

[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=\ddot{y}(t)[/tex]

replacing [tex]y(t)[/tex] with [tex]\ddot{y}(t)[/tex] valid?

No :(
For example, if [tex]y=at^2[/tex] then [tex]\ddot{y}=2a[/tex]. They're obviously different, right? :)

Ok, sorry if I'm being slow, thanks for your patience.

This is the equation of motion from equilibrium.

[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=m\ddot{y}[/tex]

I am told that [tex]y=P\cos(\Omega t)[/tex]

but as the rhs has the [tex]\ddot{y}[/tex] so should it now be

[tex]m\ddot{x}+r\dot{x}+kx=-mP\Omega^{2}\cos(\Omega t)[/tex] which is the second derivative of [tex]y=P\cos(\Omega t)[/tex].

Thanks again

I'm not sure what you were asking about when substituting y with y" in post #9, but you're right at post #11 :)

Hi

I was trying to ask the same question as post 11, obviously not very wel :-)

Thank you very much for all of you help.

James

What is a linear damping model?

A linear damping model is a mathematical representation of a system with damping, where the damping force is directly proportional to the velocity of the system.

What are the key components of a linear damping model?

The key components of a linear damping model include the mass of the system, the damping coefficient, and the external forces acting on the system.

How do you solve a linear damping model homework problem?

To solve a linear damping model homework problem, you will need to set up and solve a differential equation using the given parameters and initial conditions. This can be done using various mathematical methods such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms.

What are some real-life applications of linear damping models?

Linear damping models are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and predict the behavior of systems with damping, such as mechanical oscillators, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics problems.

What are some common challenges when solving linear damping model homework?

Some common challenges when solving linear damping model homework include understanding the concept of damping and how it affects a system, correctly setting up the differential equation, and choosing the appropriate mathematical method to solve the problem.