Linear functional equivalence in vsp and subsp

In summary: However, if you take the linear form and restrict it to W', then it is automatically zero because the form is linear on W' and W'.
JamesTheBond
I am writing a solution for the following problem, I hope someone can correct it, because I am not sure what I am missing.

Q. V is a finite dim. vsp over K, and W is a subspace of V. Let f be a linear functional on W. Show that there exists a linear functional g on V s. t. g(w)=f(w).

Ans. So far:
For all w in W, w = c_1*v_1 + c_2*v_2 + ... + c_n*v_n (where v_i for all i is the basis of V and c_i for all i are scalars part of K).

f(p*w1 + q*w1) = p*f(w1) + q*f(w2)

But since w for any w can be represented by a linear comnbination of the basis for V, there exists g, s.t.

f(w) = c_1*g(v_1)+c_2*g(v_2)+...

How can I complete this? Can I make the above assertion?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going from the wrong direction.

You need to start from W and extend to V. Picking a basis for V won't help you. Try picking a basis of W, then using the standard results.

You don't need to pick a basis explicitly either, if it helps. You can just think in terms of complementary subspaces.

Given any basis, BW, for W, there exist a basis, BV for V that contains BW. There are an infinite number of ways to define g so that it reduces to f on W.

That is of course the basis extension principle (theorem?).

So here is my revised take on the Ans (please tell me if I am reasoning it):

Take some [tex]B_W = { w_1, w_2, w_3, ..., w_n} [/tex], n = dim W <= dim V

[tex]B_W \subset B_V[/tex] for some Basis of V.

We know [tex]f(p*w1 + q*w2) = p*f(w1) + q*f(w2)[/tex] over all [tex]w1, w2 \subset W[/tex].

But what about all the elements r of V not in W (for [tex] r \in V and \notin W [/tex]? Those can be anything we want. Therefore there exists linear functional g on V s.t. when restricted to W, g(w) = f(w).

Is this complete?

No. Saying 'they can be anything we want' doesn't prove anything at all. How do you know that there is a choice of g that makes it linear? Prove there is by writing down such a choice (by picking a basis of V if necessary). You were told, and understood the basis extension principle, so why didn't you use it?

Forget about w1, w2 in W. You have nothing to prove for them, since f is already a linear functional on W. Just give me one example of a linear functional on V that agrees with f on W. Just one. One of the simplest ones, for instance.

Ok here is one:

If there exists linear functional g on V such that [tex] g(\{ w_1, w_2, w_3,..., w_n, v_n_+_1, v_n_+_2, ... , v_r \}) = k_1*w_1 + k_2*w_2 + ... + k_r*v_r [/tex] where r = dim V and for i=1 to r, [tex] k_i, w_i, v_i \in K field [/tex]

This g is I think called a linear form and when it is restricted to W, g(w) = f(w)

Last edited:
Why is that equal to f? (Since you've not specifed what f is this is not an answer.) I see what you're getting at, but that doesn't mean that you get the benefit of the doubt. Here is the answer as I would write it:

Pick any W' complementary to W. Any element v has a unique representation v=w+w' with w in W and w' in W'. Define g(w+w')=f(w).

You should think if you understand it, and try to write out the basis dependent version.

Is it possible to just define g(w') to be 0? It seems too simple.

Why? Look at your attempt. It's what you were attempting to do.

1. What is linear functional equivalence?

Linear functional equivalence is a mathematical concept that refers to the ability of two vector spaces or subspaces to have the same structure and properties, despite potentially having different bases or dimensions. This means that the two spaces can be considered equivalent in terms of their ability to perform linear transformations and operations.

2. How is linear functional equivalence related to vector spaces and subspaces?

Vector spaces and subspaces are mathematical structures that consist of a set of vectors and operations that can be performed on those vectors. Linear functional equivalence is a property that can be applied to these spaces, indicating that they have the same structure and properties.

3. What are some examples of linear functional equivalence?

An example of linear functional equivalence is when two vector spaces or subspaces have different bases, but still have the same dimension and can perform the same linear transformations. Another example is when two subspaces have different bases, but can still be represented using the same linear combination of vectors.

4. How is linear functional equivalence determined?

Linear functional equivalence is determined by comparing the structural properties of two vector spaces or subspaces. This involves examining the dimensions, bases, and operations that can be performed on the spaces to determine if they are equivalent in their ability to perform linear transformations.

5. Why is linear functional equivalence important?

Linear functional equivalence is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to compare and analyze different vector spaces and subspaces, even if they have different representations. This can help us to understand the underlying structure and properties of these spaces, and can be used in a variety of applications, such as in linear algebra and data analysis.