1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Independence/Dependence of set

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that x,y, and z are distinct vectors in a vector space V over a field F, and S = {x,y,z} is linearly independent. If S* = span({x+z, x-y}), prove whether S* is linearly independent or linearly dependent.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

S* = a(x+z) + b(x-y) = ax + bx -by + az = (a+b)x - by + az, where a and b are coefficients. We know that this linear relationship only has the trivial solution (because we are told that the set S = {x,y,z} is linearly independent), thus S* must be linearly independent.

This is the solution I have, but apparently it's wrong. The set is linearly dependent. Why is that?

EDIT: I know that I didn't write a linear combination of the span, I just wrote out the span. But the span itself is a linear combination of the vectors and a linear combination of a linear combination is still a linear combination, so just to simplify things I only wrote out the span of the vectors.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is S* the whole span of those vectors, or is S* just the two vectors? If it's the span, it's obviously linearly dependent, as e.g. x+z, 2(x+z) are both in S*, so a(x+z) + b[2(x+z)] = 0 has b=-1, a=2 as a solution
  4. Nov 24, 2008 #3
    S* is the span. But the two vectors are (x+z) and (x-y). Not (x+z) and (x+z).
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4
    Wow, I just realized what you were really trying to say. :rofl:

I see what you are saying now. But what is wrong with my proof?
  6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your proof is that the two vectors x+z and x-y are linearly independent, which they are. The set of all vectors of the form a*(x+z) + b*(x-y) isn't... to check this, you'd take a look at a summation

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n(a_i(x+z) + b_i(x-y)) = 0[/tex] for any scalars ai and bi (n is an arbitrary finite natural number)
  7. Nov 24, 2008 #6
    Thanks. I think I understand now (your first example made it easy)

Let me give my own example to see if I really have it down.

Let's say v = [tex]a_1(x+z) + b_1(x-y))[/tex] and

p = [tex]a_2(x+z) + b_2(x-y)) [/tex]

Then if you choose [tex]a_2 = -a_1[/tex] and [tex]b_2 = -b_1[/tex], then obviously the set consisting of v and p is linearly dependent.
  8. Nov 24, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, that's right. But you are still thinking too hard. I like (x+z) and 2(x+z) much better. Because it shows you how obvious it really is. The span contains an infinite numbers of vectors. A linearly independent set over a two dimensional subspace (like the span) contains only two. Even a subset containing three vectors MUST be linearly dependent. An infinite number is way overkill.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?