Linear Inependence in polynomial space

In summary, the set of vectors {1+x^2/2, 1-x^2/2, x+x^3/6, x-x^3/6} is not linearly independent in P4 because two of the vectors are equal.
phil ess

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following set is linearly independent in P4

{1+(x2/2) , 1-(x2/2) , x+(x3/6) , x+(x3/6)}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that if any of the entries in the set can be written as the linear combination of the others, then the set is NOT linearly independent. But how can I show this without just trying to put together random combinations hoping to find one that results in another entry in the set?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this situation I think it's best to see if a linear relationship has any non trivial solutions.

You know the functions 1,x,x^2 and x^3 are linearly independent. Use that.

Im not sure what youre getting at Dick. From what youve said, I can see that each entry in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of {1,x,x2,x3}, so that means they are not linearly independent? {1,x,x2,x3} is a basis for P4 i think, so is that all there is to it? I am still kind of confused about all of this.

phil, in the set {1+(x2/2) , 1-(x2/2) , x+(x3/6) , x+(x3/6)}

if you do 1*(x+(x^3/6)) - 1*(x+(x^3/6)), that equals 0. By choosing 0 for both scalars for the first two vectors, you have shown that there is a non-trivial relationship, thus the set is linearly dependent.

To do it systematically, write down a*(1+x^2/2)+b*(1-x^2/2)+c*(x+x^3/6)+d*(x+x^3/6)=0 and see if it has a nontrivial solution. As JG89 points out that's pretty easy here, since the last two vectors are the same. a=b=0 and c=1 d=-1. If that hadn't been the case then group them by powers of x. Since 1,x,x^2 and x^3 are linearly independent, the coefficient of each must vanish. That's four equations in four unknowns.

The set you give is trivially dependent, as JG89 said, because two of the vectors are equal. I wonder if you didn't mean x- x3/6.

A set of vectors [itex]\left{v_1, v_2, v_3, v_4}[/itex] is independent if and only if [itex]a_1v_+ a_2v_2+ a_3v_3+ a_4v_4= 0[/itex] implies [itex]a_1= a_2= a_3= a_4= 0[/itex].
The set [itex]{1+ x^2/2, 1- x^2/2, x+ x^3/6, x- x^3/6}[/tex] is independent if and only if [itex]a_1(1+ x^2/2)+ a_2(1- x^2/2)+ a_3(x+ x^3/6)+ a_4(x- x^3/6)= 0[/itex] for all x implies that [itex]a_1= a_2= a_3= a_4[/itex]. You can reduce that to a system of numerical equations by combining "like terms" and setting the coefficients equal to 0 or just setting x equal to 4 distinct values.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upon further inspection that last term is actually x-(x3/6) , just like you said HallsofIvy. You guys mention grouping by powers, does that mean I group the first two, which are degree 2, and the second two which are degree 3?

There are four groups, corresponding the powers 1,x,x^2 and x^3.

HallsofIvy said:
A set of vectors [itex]\left{v_1, v_2, v_3, v_4}[/itex] is independent if and only if [itex]a_1v_+ a_2v_2+ a_3v_3+ a_4v_4= 0[/itex] implies [itex]a_1= a_2= a_3= a_4[/itex].
Surely you mean a1=a2=a3=a4=0, not just that a1=a2=a3=a4.

You may also use the equivalence between the P4 and R4. That is to say, you may construct a relation (function): l(x)=a1 + a2*x + a3*x2 + a4*x3, where x = (a1, a2, a3, a4). So in your case the set of vectors is actually equivalent to {(1,0,1/2,0), (1,0,-1/2,0), (0,1,0,1/6), (0,1,0,-1/6)}. Now it might be straightforward to determine if this group of vectors are linear independent.

D H said:
Surely you mean a1=a2=a3=a4=0, not just that a1=a2=a3=a4.

Yes, thank you for catching that. I have corrected my response.

1. What is linear independence in polynomial space?

Linear independence in polynomial space refers to a set of polynomials that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of each other. In other words, no polynomial in the set can be created by multiplying another polynomial by a constant and adding it to the rest of the set.

2. How is linear independence determined in polynomial space?

In order to determine linear independence in polynomial space, we use the coefficient matrix method. This involves creating a matrix using the coefficients of the polynomials in the set and performing row operations to determine if the matrix is invertible (has a non-zero determinant). If the matrix is invertible, then the set is linearly independent.

3. Can a set of linearly independent polynomials have the same degree?

Yes, a set of linearly independent polynomials can have the same degree. For example, the set {x, x^2, x^3} is linearly independent even though all the polynomials have a degree of 1.

4. What is the significance of linear independence in polynomial space?

Linear independence in polynomial space is significant because it allows us to easily solve systems of equations involving polynomials. It also helps us to determine the dimension of a polynomial space and find a basis for that space.

5. Can a set of linearly dependent polynomials be linearly independent in a different polynomial space?

Yes, a set of linearly dependent polynomials in one polynomial space can be linearly independent in a different polynomial space. This is because the definition of linear independence depends on the specific set of polynomials and the operations allowed in that space.