1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Mass Density

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    [/B]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure is a cross section through three long wires with linear mass density 43.0. They each carry equal currents in the directions shown. The lower two wires are 4.0 cm apart and are attached to a table.

2. Relevant equations

What current will allow the upper wire to "float" so as to form an equilateral triangle with the lower wires?

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure where to start could someone give me a hint at what to do?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    Hint: A Repulsive force exists between straight current-carrying conductors carrying currents in opposite directions. By Ampere's law, each conductor generates a magnetic field around it and the forces acting on them are basically the forces of interaction between the magnetic fields. Any standard textbook should explain this phenomenon. Look up the Bio-Savart Law or try this link:

(I'm not allowed to post URLs yet, so just copy-paste the above link in the address bar and rewrite the beginning of the link)

I'm thinking that the only reason why the upper conductor won't float is because of gravity. This means that you probably have to assume that the lower conductors are fixed, otherwise they'd fall too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?