1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear second order non-homogeneous ODE question

1. Jul 31, 2011 #1
    Determine the general solution to the ODE:

y'' + 2y' = 1 + xe-2x

I know the solution will be of the form y = yh + yp. The homogeneous solution is y = c1 + c2e-2x.

For the particular solution, I have been using the method of undetermined coefficients. c3e-2x won't work as it is not linearly independent of the homogeneous solution. So I guess c3xe-2x.

So y' = c3e-2x(c3 - 2c3x)

And y'' = 4c3e-2x(x - 1)

Following on from this I end up with a particular solution:

yp = ((1 + xe-2x)/(-2e-2x))xe-2x

However wolfram disagrees with me. My question is, is the method of undetermined coefficients ok to use for this ODE? Or should I be using the method with the Wronskian (it's name escapes me at the moment)

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you put y(x) = C1(x) + C2(x)*exp(-2x) in the DE, you eventually arrive at a first-order DE in v = dC1/dx + exp(-2x)*dC2/dx.

RGV

4. Jul 31, 2011 #3
    I'm not sure I understand this. Are you able to explain it a little more?

Cheers

5. Aug 1, 2011 #4
    I'd have to dig out my book or notes to make sure, but I think your particular solution will also need an e-2x term, so it should be of the form Ae-2x + Bxe-2x. I wouldn't use c's for yh since they're already being used as the constants of integration for yh.

6. Aug 1, 2011 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the method of variation of the parameters, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_parameters.

This problem can be solved for y' as the y term is missing. Denote z=y' and solve the first-order equation z'+2z=1+xe-2x, then integrate z=y' to get y.

ehild

7. Aug 1, 2011 #6
    Aha! Of course. It's all so simple once you know what to do... :rofl:

Thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook