Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Synchronous Motor velocity?

1. Jul 16, 2004 #1
    I have been studying Linear Synchronous Motor (LSM) technology recently and there is one thing that has me boggled.

I read that the velocity of anything using LSM depends on the frequency of the current being applied to the coils. The equation I have seen is-

v = 2fLw where "f" is the frequency and "Lw" is the length of the winding turns of the stator

So I get frequency, which I assume to mean 60Hz for standard US power from the grid. But I don't understand what it means by "length of winding turns".

I have read pretty much every online resource I could find regarding LSM, but I have not found anything that points out exactly what a "winding" is. Does it take into account the width of the wire? Spacing in between loops of the wire? Length of the loop? If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very happy.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted