How do I solve a circuit with multiple nodes and loops?

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up equations for a circuit problem, with the goal of finding the unknown currents. The person mentions four nodes and two loops, and has set up six equations so far. The conversation ends with a request for help in determining the remaining two equations needed to solve the problem.
tylersmith7690

Homework Statement

In attatchment

Homework Equations

Not sure How to come up with the other equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming a node is an element connected to two or more elements.

1) Moving clockwise from V i1 to i2. Node one is between the negative side of the voltage source and first resistor.

2) Node 2 is from first resistor to second resistor on the right and 3rd resistor down the middle.

3) Node 3 is the top right hand corner between those two resistors.

4) node 4 is the entire wire running down from the far right resistor and middle resistor and to the voltage supply.

I also have two loops.
Loop A encompass i2 i7 and i6 and loop B encompasses i3 i4 i5 and the middle resistor.

I'm having trouble setting up the equations as all the references I've looked at have done the questions a little different. Mainly just using the junction method.
current entering = current out.

I have no experience on circuits so this is just what I make of the information I've read.

eq 1 ) using node 1. i1 - i2 = 0
eq 2) using node 2. i2 - i3 - i7 = 0
eq 3) using node 3. i3 - i4 = 0
eq 4) using node 4 i5 + i7 - i6 = 0
eq 5) loop a i2*R + i7*R - V = 0
eq 6) loop b i3*R + i4*R - i7*R = 0

this is where I'm stuck and I'm unsure about my above equations. Is there a outside loop around the entire circuit or is there a node i have missed. I assume i need 7 equations for the 7 unknowns.

Any help would be much appreciated. Kind regards.

Attachments

• circuit.PNG
    circuit.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
tylersmith7690 said:

Homework Statement

In attatchment

Homework Equations

Not sure How to come up with the other equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming a node is an element connected to two or more elements.

1) Moving clockwise from V i1 to i2. Node one is between the negative side of the voltage source and first resistor.

2) Node 2 is from first resistor to second resistor on the right and 3rd resistor down the middle.

3) Node 3 is the top right hand corner between those two resistors.

4) node 4 is the entire wire running down from the far right resistor and middle resistor and to the voltage supply.

I also have two loops.
Loop A encompass i2 i7 and i6 and loop B encompasses i3 i4 i5 and the middle resistor.

I'm having trouble setting up the equations as all the references I've looked at have done the questions a little different. Mainly just using the junction method.
current entering = current out.

I have no experience on circuits so this is just what I make of the information I've read.

eq 1 ) using node 1. i1 - i2 = 0
eq 2) using node 2. i2 - i3 - i7 = 0
eq 3) using node 3. i3 - i4 = 0
eq 4) using node 4 i5 + i7 - i6 = 0
eq 5) loop a i2*R + i7*R - V = 0
eq 6) loop b i3*R + i4*R - i7*R = 0

this is where I'm stuck and I'm unsure about my above equations. Is there a outside loop around the entire circuit or is there a node i have missed. I assume i need 7 equations for the 7 unknowns.

Any help would be much appreciated. Kind regards.

Basically, you just have three different currents, i1, i4 and i7. At the top t-junction you have i1 = i4 + i7, and this applies as well at the bottom t-junction (check this!). So that is one equation, and you need two more. Can you see what those other two equations must be?

1. What is a linear system?

A linear system is a system that follows the principle of superposition, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input. In other words, if the input is scaled by a certain factor, the output will also be scaled by the same factor.

2. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop of conductors through which electrical current can flow. It typically consists of components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, connected by wires.

3. How do linear systems and circuits relate?

Linear systems and circuits are closely related because electrical circuits are essentially linear systems, and can be analyzed using the principles of linear algebra. By understanding how linear systems behave, we can predict the behavior of circuits and design them accordingly.

4. What is Kirchhoff's circuit laws?

Kirchhoff's circuit laws are two fundamental laws that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. The first law, Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must be equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. The second law, Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltages around a closed circuit loop must equal zero.

5. How do we solve linear systems in circuits?

To solve linear systems in circuits, we can use various techniques such as nodal analysis, mesh analysis, and Thevenin's theorem. These methods involve applying Kirchhoff's circuit laws and using linear algebra to solve for the unknown variables in the circuit.