Is T a Linear Transformation from R3 to R2?

In summary, the linear transformation, T, is given byT\left(\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}\right)= \begin{bmatrix} y+ z \\ x+ z\end{bmatrix}
zhfs

Homework Statement

let T : R3 --> R2 be the transformation defined by T([x]) = [y+z]
y x+z
z

(a) show that T is a linear transformation

(b) calculate [T]B',B- the matrix of T with respect to the bases B and B' where
1 0 0
B = { [0] [1] [0] } and B' = {[1] [-1]}
0 0 1 1 1
(c) determine the coordinates of T{[1]} with respect to basis B'

Homework Equations

nothing much can help...

The Attempt at a Solution

part (a) is fine, can be proved

but have little problem in part (b)

since B is 3*3 matrix and B' is 2*2, i can't keep going on that

i've got [T]B={[0] [1][1]}
[1] [0][1]

and i can't keep going from here

and same as part (c) , how can i transfer a 3*1 into with respect 2*2

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know what's wrong with my typing

i tis not showing right

but B is standard basis for R3 100,010,001

and B' is [1 -1; 1 1]

Use LaTex! Web sites in general do not respect spaces.

The linear transformation, T, is given by
[tex]T\left(\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}\right)= \begin{bmatrix} y+ z \\ x+ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
(Click on the formula to see the code.)

To show that this is a linear transformation, you must show that T(u+ v)= T(u)+ T(v) for any u, v in R3 and that T(au)= aT(u) for any u in R3 and any real number a.

If T:U-> V and you are given bases for U and V, to write T as a matrix do this:
Apply T to each of the basis vector of U in turn. Write the result of each as a linear combination of the basis vector for V. The coefficients of each linear combination is a column in the matrix. For example
[tex]T\left(\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}\right)= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= 0\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ -1\end{bmatrix}+ 1\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so the third column of the matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Note that the order in which the basis vectors are given is important. [0 0 1] is the third vector in the basis for R3 so applying T to it gives the third column of the matrix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is T a Linear Transformation from R3 to R2?

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps a set of input values to a set of output values, while preserving the basic algebraic properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is the purpose of a linear transformation?

The purpose of a linear transformation is to transform data or variables in a way that makes them easier to analyze or interpret. It can also be used to simplify complex systems or equations.

3. How do you perform a linear transformation?

To perform a linear transformation, you need to define a transformation matrix that represents the mapping of input values to output values. Then, the input values are multiplied by the transformation matrix to get the corresponding output values.

4. What are some real-world applications of linear transformation?

Linear transformations have many applications in fields such as computer graphics, physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to analyze data, model physical systems, and solve complex equations.

5. What are the properties of a linear transformation?

A linear transformation has three main properties: it preserves the zero vector, it preserves scalar multiplication, and it preserves vector addition. In other words, the transformation of the zero vector is always the zero vector, and the transformation of a scaled vector is the scaled transformation of the original vector. Additionally, the transformation of the sum of two vectors is equal to the sum of their individual transformations.