Linear Transformation - The Matrix of (not so hard)

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear map T:M(2x2) --> M(2x2) and the task of finding a 4x4 matrix representation of this linear transformation with respect to the basis of M(2x2). The conversation also includes a calculation of T(B) for each basis vector and a final matrix representation. There is also a mention of double checking the matrix multiplication for accuracy.
rad0786

Homework Statement

I have a linear map T:M(2x2) -------> M(2x2) defined by T(B) = [2 3; 4 0] * B

Find a 4 × 4 matrix representation of this linear transformation with respect to the basis of M(2×2)

Homework Equations

T(B) = [2 3; 4 0] * B

and the basis for M(2X2) is:

[1 0; 0 0]
[0 1; 0 0]
[0 0; 1 0]
[0 0; 0 1]

The Attempt at a Solution

T[1 0; 0 0] = [2 3; 4 0]*[1 0; 0 0] = [2 4; 0 0]
T[0 1; 0 0] = [2 3; 4 0]*[0 1; 0 0] = [0 0; 2 4]
T[0 0; 1 0] = [2 3; 4 0]*[0 0; 1 0] = [3 0; 0 0]
T[0 0; 0 1] = [2 3; 4 0]*[0 0; 0 1] = [0 3; 0 0]

Therefore, the matrix would be:

[2 0 3 0;
4 0 0 3;
0 2 0 0;
0 4 0 0]

Could somebody please veryify this for me.

I'd appreciate that

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you put the image vectors as columns in the 4x4 matrix, and you multiplied the 2x2 matrices correctly (double check this), you should not be worrying so much.

Last edited:
Tom1992 said:
As long as you put the image vectors as columns in the 4x4 matrix, and you multiplied the 2x2 matrices correctly (double this), you should not be worrying so much.

Oh...

So what you are saying is that I DID my procedure correctly...and that final answer would be correct as long as my aritmatic is correct? :smile:

That makes me feel better...

rad0786 said:
Oh...

So what you are saying is that I DID my procedure correctly...and that final answer would be correct as long as my aritmatic is correct? :smile:

that's right but double check the products wrt to the ordered basis you have chosen.

whoa, that's it. my dad is kicking me out of the computer for making too many posts.

Last edited:
Ohh okay...thanks.

And that is funny lol.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps a vector space to another vector space, while preserving the basic properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication. It essentially transforms one set of coordinates to another set of coordinates in a linear fashion.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix. Each column in the matrix represents the coordinates of the transformed basis vectors in the original vector space.

3. What are the key properties of a linear transformation?

The key properties of a linear transformation include:

• Preserving addition: T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v)
  • Preserving scalar multiplication: T(ku) = kT(u)
  • Preserving the zero vector: T(0) = 0

4. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, you can use the properties mentioned above. If the transformation satisfies all the properties, then it is linear. You can also check if the transformation can be represented by a matrix, which would also indicate linearity.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations are widely used in computer graphics, physics, and engineering. They are also used in data compression, image processing, and machine learning algorithms. In real-world scenarios, linear transformations can be used to model and analyze various systems and processes.