1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation

1. May 2, 2007 #1
    1) True or False? If true, prove it. If false, prove that it is false or give a counterexample.
    1a) If a linear transformation T: R^n->R^m is onto and R^n = span{X1,...,Xk}, then R^m = span{T(X1),...,T(Xk)}
    1b) If T: R^n->R^m is a linear transformation and U is a subspace of R^n, then T(U) is a subspace of R^m.

2) Let T: R^2->R^4 be a linear transformation induced by the matrix A=
    [1 4
    2 3
    3 2
    4 1]
    Find a vector X E R^2 such that T(X) is as close as possible to [4 6 6 4]^T

I have an exam tomorrow. These are the past exams questions that I am having terrible trouble with. Can someone help me? I seriously thought about these questions, but still can't come up with any clue...I really want to provide some attempt, but I don't even know how to begin...

Any help/hints is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2007 #2
    1 (a) First what is the definition of onto or surjective? Every point in the domain spans the codomain. Use this fact to answer your question.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  4. May 2, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Regarding 1b), simply take two vectors a, b from T(U) and think of a condition which must be satisfied in order for T(U) to be a subspace.

5. May 2, 2007 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For this question, you need to find a "best approximation" [tex] u \in \mathbb{R}^2[/tex] to
    [tex]b= \left( \begin{array}{c} 4 \\ 6 \\6 \\ 4 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Have you learnt the theorem which says that if u is a best approximation, and A is the matrix of the linear transformation, [tex]A^T(Au-b)=0[/tex]?

Solve for u to find the best approximation. You could apply QR factorization to A to further simply the solution process.

6. May 2, 2007 #5
    Thanks, I have learnt this but I have never thought of it...what a great method

7. May 2, 2007 #6
    But I am still pretty lost with question 1b...

I know the definition of subspace, but I simply don't know how to apply it in this situation...

U is a subsapce of V iff
    1) 0 E U
    2) X,Y E U => X+Y E U
    and 3) X E U, a E R => aX E U

8. May 2, 2007 #7

radou

Homework Helper

U is a subspace of V if, for every a, b from U, and for every salars x, y, xa+yb is in U. Use that fact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?