1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    i need to draw 2 graphs, one arbitrary graph I make up that is not a normal distribution, and then i need to draw another in which i apply the linear transformation Y = 4X +2. I know that all the heights need to go down to 1/4 of the origional, but I dont know if it needs to shift to the right by 2, or if I need to plug in all the x values to the equation and shift them over by that amount

please, can anyone help me???

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, Y=4X+2 is not a linear transformation. It's a linear function. Do you mean first draw the graph of y=f(x) and then draw the graph of y=f(4x+2)? I'm a little confused.

4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    my mistake

here is the problem that was written down on the paper:

draw a distribution curve, something other than a normal distribution, labeling the x and y axes carefully. let yor x distribution (an idealization of the density histogram for some date values x1, x2...) we will apply the linear transformation Y = 4x +2 to the data. Draw the distribution curve for the Y data (the linearly transformed data) carefully labeling the x and y axes, and explain how this curve compares to the distribution curve for the x data

and how much does the graph shift on the X axis? 2 or more or what? please...and thank you...

5. Feb 28, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. So the magic word is 'histogram'. I think. The vertical coordinate represents density of the x points. I think. Now you want to draw a histogram for the set where each x is replaced by 4x+2. I think. One thing that is true is that the density drops everywhere by a factor of 4, right? Ok, but now the density value that used to be at x=0 moves to x=2 (and decreases by a factor of 4). The density that used to be at x=1 moves to x=6 (and decreases by a factor of 4) etc etc. So the graph doesn't just shift, it shifts and scales.

6. Feb 28, 2008 #5
    thank you soooo much youre a great help! is there like a "give Dick a good rating" button somewhere?

7. Feb 28, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You just pushed it. Thanks.

8. Feb 28, 2008 #7
    i did? how... just by saying youre a great help?

9. Feb 29, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yeah. There's no centralized rating system. But the people that run the forum do read threads. How do you think I got all these awards I didn't ask for?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?