Creating Linear Transformations: Drawing Arbitrary and Transformed Graphs

In summary, the conversation is about drawing two graphs - one arbitrary graph and another with the linear transformation Y = 4X + 2 applied to the data. The person is unsure if the graph needs to shift to the right by 2 or if the x values need to be plugged into the equation. They also ask how much the graph shifts on the x-axis. The expert explains that the density drops by a factor of 4 and the graph shifts and scales accordingly. The person thanks the expert and asks if there is a way to give them a good rating, to which the expert responds that they just did by saying they were a great help.
mjwess
i need to draw 2 graphs, one arbitrary graph I make up that is not a normal distribution, and then i need to draw another in which i apply the linear transformation Y = 4X +2. I know that all the heights need to go down to 1/4 of the origional, but I don't know if it needs to shift to the right by 2, or if I need to plug in all the x values to the equation and shift them over by that amount

please, can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, Y=4X+2 is not a linear transformation. It's a linear function. Do you mean first draw the graph of y=f(x) and then draw the graph of y=f(4x+2)? I'm a little confused.

my mistake

here is the problem that was written down on the paper:

draw a distribution curve, something other than a normal distribution, labeling the x and y axes carefully. let yor x distribution (an idealization of the density histogram for some date values x1, x2...) we will apply the linear transformation Y = 4x +2 to the data. Draw the distribution curve for the Y data (the linearly transformed data) carefully labeling the x and y axes, and explain how this curve compares to the distribution curve for the x data

and how much does the graph shift on the X axis? 2 or more or what? please...and thank you...

Ok. So the magic word is 'histogram'. I think. The vertical coordinate represents density of the x points. I think. Now you want to draw a histogram for the set where each x is replaced by 4x+2. I think. One thing that is true is that the density drops everywhere by a factor of 4, right? Ok, but now the density value that used to be at x=0 moves to x=2 (and decreases by a factor of 4). The density that used to be at x=1 moves to x=6 (and decreases by a factor of 4) etc etc. So the graph doesn't just shift, it shifts and scales.

thank you soooo much youre a great help! is there like a "give Dick a good rating" button somewhere?

You just pushed it. Thanks.

i did? how... just by saying youre a great help?

Well, yeah. There's no centralized rating system. But the people that run the forum do read threads. How do you think I got all these awards I didn't ask for?

Related to Creating Linear Transformations: Drawing Arbitrary and Transformed Graphs

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the structure of the original space. This means that the transformation preserves the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented in several ways, including through a matrix, a system of linear equations, or a geometric transformation. The most common representation is through a matrix, where the transformation is represented by multiplying the original vector by a transformation matrix.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a nonlinear transformation?

A linear transformation follows a specific set of rules and properties, such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication, while a nonlinear transformation does not. In a linear transformation, the output is always a scaled version of the input, while a nonlinear transformation can produce a variety of outputs for a given input.

4. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples of real-world applications include image and signal processing, data compression, and modeling physical systems such as electrical circuits or fluid dynamics.

5. How are linear transformations used in machine learning?

In machine learning, linear transformations are used to transform data into a more suitable form for analysis. This can include scaling, rotating, or translating the data to make it easier to interpret and analyze. Linear transformations are also used in the training process of many machine learning algorithms, such as linear regression and neural networks.