Linear Transformations using polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix of a linear transformation on a space of polynomials and explaining why the result of raising that matrix to the fourth power is equal to zero without using matrix calculations. The recommended method is to consider the effect of the transformation on the basis elements and think about the properties of differentiation on polynomials. It is found that the degree of a polynomial decreases by one with each differentiation, which explains why the fourth power of the matrix is equal to zero.
mbud

Homework Statement

Let P3 be the space of all polynomials (with real coefficients) of degree at most 3. Let
D : P3 -> P3 be the linear transformation given by taking the derivative of a polynomial.
That is
D(a + bx + cx2 + dx3) = b + 2cx + 3dx2:
Let B be the standard basis {1; x; x2; x3} of P3.
(a) Find the matrix MD of D with respect to the standard basis.
(b) Explain, without doing any matrix calculations, why (MD)4 = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know it may be a simple question but i don't even know where to begin
but in a attempt is
MD = [1 1 1 1;
0 2 3 0]

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi mbud! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
mbud said:
Let P3 be the space of all polynomials (with real coefficients) of degree at most 3. Let
D : P3 -> P3 be the linear transformation given by taking the derivative of a polynomial.
That is
D(a + bx + cx2 + dx3) = b + 2cx + 3dx2:
Let B be the standard basis {1; x; x2; x3} of P3.
(a) Find the matrix MD of D with respect to the standard basis.
(b) Explain, without doing any matrix calculations, why (MD)4 = 0.

To find M, you only need the effect of M on the four basis elements. Sooo …

Hint: what is x2 as a vector? what is Dx2 as a vector? :wink:

More specifically, since the standard basis is 1, x, x2, and x3, take the derivative of each and write it in terms of those. The coefficients give each column of the matrix.

Thanks, for the help, but i still don't know how to explain (MD)^4 = 0
I can show it using matrices, but when it comes to words, I am flabbergasted.

mbud said:
Thanks, for the help, but i still don't know how to explain (MD)^4 = 0
I can show it using matrices, but when it comes to words, I am flabbergasted.

Hint: if V is the vector form of a polynomial ax3 + bx2 + cx + d, what is (MD)4V the vector of? :wink:

Differentiation does what to the degree of a polynomial? This is nothing to do with vectors, or vector spaces, or matrices - sometimes you just have to look at things and think for a little bit.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the structure of the original space. In other words, it is a mathematical operation that takes in a vector and outputs another vector with the same number of dimensions.

2. What are polynomials?

Polynomials are expressions made up of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. They can also include constants and exponents.

3. How are polynomials used in linear transformations?

Polynomials can be used as the basis for a transformation matrix, which is used to perform linear transformations on vectors. The coefficients of the polynomial represent the elements of the matrix, and the variables represent the input vector components.

4. What is the degree of a polynomial in a linear transformation?

The degree of a polynomial in a linear transformation is the highest exponent of the variables used. For example, a polynomial with the expression 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x has a degree of 3.

5. How do I determine the matrix representation of a linear transformation using polynomials?

To determine the matrix representation of a linear transformation using polynomials, you can use the coefficients of the polynomial as the elements of the transformation matrix. The first column of the matrix represents the transformation of the x variable, the second column represents the transformation of the y variable, and so on.