1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linearly independent

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    Let x1, x2,...,xk be linear independent vectors in a vector space V.

If we delete a vector, say xk, from the collection, will we still have a linearly independent collection of vectors? Explain.

By deleting a vector from linearly independent span, the other vectors, I believe, will remain independent; however, I don't know how to prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you start with the definition of linearly independent? That's usually a good strategy.

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    Well vectors are lin. ind. if the the det doesn't 0 and if all coefficients are 0. Since I know they are already ind., deleting one shouldn't change the coefficients but I don't know how to set it up in a proof still.

5. Feb 28, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

det of what? I don't think that has much to do with the definition of linearly independent. Does it? I suggest you look it up. State it clearly.

6. Feb 28, 2010 #5
    Determinant of the vectors in the span doesn't equal 0 then they are linearly ind.

7. Feb 28, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Baloney. Determinant is only defined for a square matrix. That's a special case. There's a much more general definition of linear independence.

8. Feb 28, 2010 #7
    What does it mean if x1, x2, x3 are linearly independent? It means that the solution to a1x1 + a2x2 + a3x3 = 0 is ai = 0 for all i=1,2,3. Apply this definition to k vectors.

Now, does this still hold if you take out some vector in {x1,...., xk}? Remove some xi from the set and construct the equation I did above. Does it follow that all the ai's are 0?

9. Feb 28, 2010 #8
    If you remove a vector, the other coefficients should still remain the same = 0.

10. Mar 1, 2010 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, and therefore what?

VeeEight is suggesting a proof by contradiction.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook