Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lines of action of forces and net torque

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    I have a question.

For example there are three forces of diff magnitudes and are in three diff directions (not oppo directions) acting on a body. if the lines of action of the 3 forces pass through a common point, why the net torque abt that pt is zero?

Can someone help me pls?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    k im not sure what u asking but , u could add up all the x and y components
    of the vectors and get the resultant vector.

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    Erm. What i want to ask is just this:

Why when the lines of action of 3 forces pass through a common point, the net torque abt that common point is zero?

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4
    I think I understand your question. Suppose we have we have a rod x units long, centered at x = 0. Suppose there is a force +F at +x/2 and a force -F at -x/2. There is no net force on the rod, but there is a torque about the point x=0. However, if the two opposing forces were both applied at x=0, then there is no torque about the point x=0. Even if the two opposing forces were applied at x=0 but not equal, there still is no torque about the point x=0. Is this your question?.

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi makeAwish! :smile:
    It even works for just one force …

the net torque must be zero about any point if the force goes through that point …

torque (or moment) = force x distance, and distance = 0. :smile:

(btw, this is why we always take moments about hinges etc, because we want to simplify the problem by leaving out the force at that point :wink:)

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6
    oh ya... each force produces zero torque cos r is 0, so the sum of it at that point is still zero..

haha. thanks a lot!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook