Troubleshooting Wireless Connectivity Issues in Linux

In summary, it looks like you're having trouble connecting to your wireless network. You might need to do a system restore to last night in order to get it working again.
physicsCU
Linux help!

OK, I finally got my wireless working last night, but when i went to school today, I tried to connect there, no luck.

and when i got home tonight and reset all my settings to what they were when i was connected, i got nothing!

anyone know what i can do? i already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I am afraid I will need to do a system restore of some type.

This is irritating me! no wonder windows is used on most of the worlds computers! it just works!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you using the ndiswrapper? If you are did you remember to do:

modprobe ndiswrapper

If you don't want to do this every reboot you should add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules.d/kernel-<whatever version you have>

I did that, it says its loaded, then i try

ifup wlan0

but i get the message that there is no IP address. I mean, i did the exact same steps last night, and it worked fine.

I might have to do a system restore (?) to last night.

I might have to reinstall, i didn't realize i needed to make a backup file. Unless I can get some tips on what to do here, I am kinda screwed. this is seriously making me want to quit linux forever if its this hard to use.

Last edited:
Hey don't give up on Linux. It has come a long in just the past couple years. Every day it gets better and better. I would strongly urge to use the most user friendly disto of all. Try Mandriva (formerly known as Mandrake) I absolutely love Mandrake. It's so simple and easy to use. I haven't tried Kubunto. But I have had used Redhat 9, Suse 9, Slackware, Knoppix, Debian, Phlack, plus a few others and I must say that I had the easiest time with Mandrake. I know that there are a lot of Mandrake haters out there who complain about Mandrake being for noobies but I really like it and it's always been friendly for me. You can get iso from http://linuxiso.org <---- My fav site

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you can check your hardware :biggrin:
I love Mandriva!

http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware

Last edited by a moderator:
physicsCU said:
I did that, it says its loaded, then i try

ifup wlan0

but i get the message that there is no IP address. I mean, i did the exact same steps last night, and it worked fine.

I might have to do a system restore (?) to last night.

I might have to reinstall, i didn't realize i needed to make a backup file. Unless I can get some tips on what to do here, I am kinda screwed. this is seriously making me want to quit linux forever if its this hard to use.
do the commands following and post the output:

lsmod

iwconfig

iwlist wlan0 scan

ifconfig

edit: Do them as root, not as regular user.

physicsCU said:
I did those commands, check here: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=30931

they are in there somewhere.

and i will check on mandriva too. i looked into kubuntu, but the live cd wouldn't boot on my dual-boot machine. i checked on everything in bios too.

From a cursory glance, looks like signal issues. But I'm not sure. Thats not all the commands I asked you to run though.

really? which ones did i miss?

I can run those for you then.

its not a signal issue, I think its an issue within linux, I can't even see my MAC address in linux.

physicsCU said:
really? which ones did i miss?

I can run those for you then.

its not a signal issue, I think its an issue within linux, I can't even see my MAC address in linux.

Well, from the output you gave me (which was not eveyrthing I asked for) that's what came to mind. To repeat the list of commands (points at previous post as well):

lsmod

iwconfig

iwlist wlan0 scan

ifconfig

Just run them all and post the output.

What is Linux wireless install help?

Linux wireless install help refers to the process of installing and setting up a wireless network on a computer running a Linux operating system. This involves configuring the necessary drivers, software, and settings to enable the use of a wireless connection.

Do I need a specific type of wireless adapter for Linux?

Yes, you will need a wireless adapter that is compatible with Linux. Some manufacturers provide drivers specifically for Linux, while others may require you to manually install drivers or use open-source drivers.

How do I check if my wireless adapter is recognized by Linux?

You can use the command "lspci" or "lsusb" in the terminal to see a list of all connected devices. Look for your wireless adapter in the list to confirm if it is recognized by Linux.

How do I install wireless drivers on Linux?

The process for installing wireless drivers on Linux may vary depending on the specific distribution you are using. However, most distributions have a package manager that allows you to easily search for and install drivers. You can also manually download and install drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Are there any troubleshooting steps for wireless connection issues on Linux?

Yes, there are a few steps you can try if you are experiencing wireless connection issues on Linux. These include checking your network settings, restarting your wireless adapter, and updating your drivers. You can also try using a different wireless network manager or restarting your network services.