Linux wireless install help

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
Linux help!!!

OK, I finally got my wireless working last night, but when i went to school today, I tried to connect there, no luck.

and when i got home tonight and reset all my settings to what they were when i was connected, i got nothing!!!

anyone know what i can do? i already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I am afraid I will need to do a system restore of some type.

This is irritating me!!! no wonder windows is used on most of the worlds computers!!! it just works!!!

Answers and Replies

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Are you using the ndiswrapper? If you are did you remember to do:

modprobe ndiswrapper

If you don't want to do this every reboot you should add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules.d/kernel-<whatever version you have>

I did that, it says its loaded, then i try

ifup wlan0

but i get the message that there is no IP address. I mean, i did the exact same steps last night, and it worked fine.

I might have to do a system restore (?) to last night.

I might have to reinstall, i didn't realize i needed to make a backup file. Unless I can get some tips on what to do here, I am kinda screwed. this is seriously making me wanna quit linux forever if its this hard to use.

Last edited:
Hey dont give up on Linux. It has come a long in just the past couple years. Every day it gets better and better. I would strongly urge to use the most user friendly disto of all. Try Mandriva (formerly known as Mandrake) I absolutely love Mandrake. It's so simple and easy to use. I haven't tried Kubunto. But I have had used Redhat 9, Suse 9, Slackware, Knoppix, Debian, Phlack, plus a few others and I must say that I had the easiest time with Mandrake. I know that there are a lot of Mandrake haters out there who complain about Mandrake being for noobies but I really like it and it's always been friendly for me. You can get iso from http://linuxiso.org [Broken] <---- My fav site

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you can check your hardware :biggrin:
I love Mandriva!

http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
physicsCU said:
I did that, it says its loaded, then i try

ifup wlan0

but i get the message that there is no IP address. I mean, i did the exact same steps last night, and it worked fine.

I might have to do a system restore (?) to last night.

I might have to reinstall, i didn't realize i needed to make a backup file. Unless I can get some tips on what to do here, I am kinda screwed. this is seriously making me wanna quit linux forever if its this hard to use.

do the commands following and post the output:

lsmod

iwconfig

iwlist wlan0 scan

ifconfig

edit: Do them as root, not as regular user.

physicsCU said:
I did those commands, check here: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=30931

they are in there somewhere.

and i will check on mandriva too. i looked into kubuntu, but the live cd wouldn't boot on my dual-boot machine. i checked on everything in bios too.

From a cursory glance, looks like signal issues. But I'm not sure. Thats not all the commands I asked you to run though.

really? which ones did i miss?

I can run those for you then.

its not a signal issue, I think its an issue within linux, I can't even see my MAC address in linux.

physicsCU said:
really? which ones did i miss?

I can run those for you then.

its not a signal issue, I think its an issue within linux, I can't even see my MAC address in linux.

Well, from the output you gave me (which was not eveyrthing I asked for) thats what came to mind. To repeat the list of commands (points at previous post as well):

lsmod

iwconfig

iwlist wlan0 scan

ifconfig

Just run them all and post the output.