Liquid Tank Design: Design Solution for 100gpm Flow & 10min Retention

In summary, the tank must have a continuous flow of water dosed with 12% sodium hypochlorite to eliminate ammonia, and the tank must have a minimum verifiable retention time of 10 minutes before discharge.
mr_jeffo
I have 2 locations of approx 80”w x 80”l x 112”h to install a tank(s). The tank must meet the following criteria:
1. Influent: 100gpm continuous flow of ground water dosed with 12% sodium hypochlorite to eliminate ammonia
2. 10 minute minimum verifiable retention time in the tank during continuous flow before discharge

Any thoughts on designing this? There are no other restrictions in terms of baffling, tank materials, etc. It must fit in the space alloted, so I can't just create a large tank. I must be able to prove the 10 minute minimum time in the tank via a dye tracer test or similar (of the flow mass center). Plug flow or other theories can be assumed but only if the retention time can be field verified.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What happens if you start by assuming any simple velocity profile through a pipe with the same volume as the tank and see what dimensions the pipe needs to have? That should give a first guess at the geometry of any baffles. Or just use a pipe.

Having a rough idea of the geometry would then allow you to check other things like diffusion, Reynolds number, back-pressure, etc.

Chlorine Contact Tank

As I see it, the available footprint is awkward for application, so I can't do with one tank in allotted footprint and would need two vertical tanks plumbed in series.My initial thought is two custom, baffled chlorine contact tanks for series operation where I direct size. Currently I currently have a single 64" tank 112" high with 1100 gal capacity. it is short circuiting in about 3.5 min at 25 gpm. Again I need 10 min at 100gpm. Through testing the current tank baffling is about 30% efficient.

By my calcs for the new system:
Contact Time = Theoretical Detention Time X Baffling Factor
10 min X 1.5 (minimum factor of safety by user) * (0.5 efficiency for baffles provided near inlet and along tank axis)
Ergo, TDT = 30 minutes
Q = 100 gpm = 13.4 cfm (assumes this is maximum flow capable of being pumped to the vessel)
V/Q = V/13.4 = 30 minutes
V = 402 cf = 3007 gal

Looks like 1500 gallons in each vertical tank in SHELL LENGTH. Can’t allow diameter to length ratio to get too weird on a custom job, or I’ll need to bump the 1.5 safety factor used above.

I'm looking for creative solutions in terms of baffling to extend the current retention time or a new design in limited space.

Related to Liquid Tank Design: Design Solution for 100gpm Flow & 10min Retention

1. What factors are considered when designing a liquid tank for 100gpm flow and 10min retention?

When designing a liquid tank, the following factors are typically taken into consideration:

• The type of liquid being stored
  • The volume of liquid needed to be stored
  • The flow rate at which the liquid will be entering the tank
  • The desired retention time for the liquid in the tank
  • The type and strength of materials needed for the tank to withstand the pressure of the liquid

2. How is the tank size determined for 100gpm flow and 10min retention?

The tank size is determined based on the volume of liquid needed to be stored, the flow rate, and the desired retention time. Using these factors, engineers can calculate the appropriate size of the tank to ensure it can hold the necessary amount of liquid and allow for proper retention time.

3. What are some common materials used for liquid tank construction?

The most common materials used for liquid tank construction are steel, concrete, and fiberglass. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of strength, durability, and cost. The choice of material will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the project.

4. How is the flow rate of 100gpm achieved and maintained in the tank?

The flow rate of 100gpm can be achieved and maintained by using pumps or other mechanisms to continuously pump the liquid into the tank at the desired rate. The flow rate can also be controlled by using valves or other flow control devices.

5. What are some safety considerations when designing a liquid tank for 100gpm flow and 10min retention?

Safety is a critical aspect of designing a liquid tank. Some key considerations include ensuring the tank is properly sealed to prevent leakage, using appropriate materials to withstand the pressure of the liquid, and designing the tank with proper ventilation and drainage systems. It is also important to follow all safety regulations and guidelines during construction and maintenance of the tank.