Little help with thermodynamic question

In summary, the question is about finding the final pressure and temperature using the equation p1 v1^k = p2 v2^k, where k is the polytrophic index. The person also mentions needing to find the heat transferred and shares their calculations for the final pressure, temperature, and work done. They ask if their approach is correct.
tweety_2479
the question is in the attachment. All i really want to know is when you have to find the final pressure and temperature do you use the equation

p1 v1^k = p2 v2^k

where k is the the polytrophic index

thanks

Attachments

• Thermo ques.doc
    40.5 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help.

Welcome to the PF, tweety. One of the rules we have for homework and coursework is that you show some of your own work, before we can offer tutorial help.

So what is your approach to this problem?

yea i just realized i don't no how to find the heat transferred as well but

i got the final pressure to be 15.8 bar and the final temp to be 328K and the work done to be 29KJ

ive done this by using the first equation above to find final P and PV=RT to find the final temp

is this right ? i haven't got any answers to them

thanks

Last edited:

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors affect and are affected by physical systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always tend to increase over time. This means that energy will always naturally flow from a state of higher concentration to a state of lower concentration, resulting in less available energy for work.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in thermodynamics. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is the transfer of energy from a warmer to a cooler object. In other words, temperature is a measure of how hot or cold something is, while heat is the energy that causes a change in temperature.

How are thermodynamics used in real life?

Thermodynamics has numerous practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design and functioning of refrigerators, air conditioners, and engines. It is also used in the study of weather patterns, chemical reactions, and the behavior of materials at different temperatures and pressures. It is a fundamental concept in many fields, including chemistry, engineering, and environmental science.