Load capability of an Al sheet serving as a ramp

• Thread starter miloziz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Ramp
In summary, the conversation revolves around creating a ramp using a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet. The participants discuss the feasibility of this idea and suggest alternative options such as using common decking materials or pressure treated lumber with adhesive no-slip strips or diamond plate for a more aesthetically appealing ramp. They also mention the need to comply with city building codes and finding sources of funding for the project.
miloziz
If I take a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet that is 36" x 120" and bend each long side up 3" to create a ramp 120" long x 30" wide, How much weight would it support. My tenant has a power scooter and can't afford to purchase a ramp so I am looking for alternatives.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1/8" aluminum is not strong enough to be making a ramp with. Also, there are probably city building codes that will need to be met for the access ramp. It is probably best done as a woodworking project. Not sure of the best way to raise the money for it, though.

.125 Al sheet is hardly structural. You would be able to deform it with your hand, let alone a person on a scooter.

I think Berkeman is on the right track with using common decking materials.

thanks

I suggest building the ramp with pressure treated lumber and then putting 2 or 3 adhesive no-slip strips on it horizontally. Or if you want it prettier you could put diamond plate on it (the metal you commonly see on the running boards of trucks) You can buy it all at Lowe's.

1. What is the maximum weight that an Al sheet ramp can support?

The maximum weight that an Al sheet ramp can support depends on its size and thickness. Generally, an Al sheet ramp can support up to 500 lbs per square inch of surface area.

2. How can I determine the load capacity of an Al sheet ramp?

The load capacity of an Al sheet ramp can be determined by calculating its yield strength and ultimate tensile strength. These values can be found in the material data sheet provided by the manufacturer. The load capacity can then be calculated using the formula: Load Capacity = Yield Strength x Surface Area.

3. Can an Al sheet ramp support heavy vehicles such as cars or trucks?

Yes, an Al sheet ramp can support heavy vehicles such as cars or trucks. However, the thickness and size of the ramp must be carefully considered to ensure it can withstand the weight and pressure of the vehicle.

4. Is it safe to use an Al sheet ramp for loading and unloading heavy equipment?

Yes, it is safe to use an Al sheet ramp for loading and unloading heavy equipment. Al sheets are known for their high strength and durability, making them suitable for heavy-duty use.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the load capability of an Al sheet ramp?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the load capability of an Al sheet ramp. These include the size and thickness of the ramp, the type of material it is made from, and the temperature and environment in which it is used.