What is the Local Compactness of [0, 1]ω in the Uniform Topology?

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local
In summary, we can show that [0,1]ω is not locally compact by assuming it is and finding a sequence that does not converge in a compact subspace. This contradicts the assumption and proves that [0,1]ω is not locally compact.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This one has been bothering me for a while.

One needs to show that [0, 1]ω is not compact in the uniform topology.

The Attempt at a Solution

As a reminder, the uniform topology on Rω is induced by the uniform metric, which is defined with d(x, y) = sup{min{|xi - yi|, 1} : i = 1, 2, ...}.

For any ε > 1, and for any x in Rω, the open ball B(x, ε) equals Rω.

Now, clearly, for any x, y in [0, 1]ω, d(x, y) = sup{|xi - yi|}.

The main problem seems to be that I can't figure out what kind of sets (except finite sets) are compact in Rω (if at all)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]x_k = (0,\ldots,0,1,0,\ldots)[/itex] be the sequence with 1 in the kth place.

Depending on your definition of compactness or the theorems you know this sequence x1,x2,... can be used to show that [itex][0,1]^\omega[/itex] is not compact.

For instance you can show that (x1,x2,...) does not have a convergent subsequence (and thereby that [itex][0,1]^\omega[/itex] is not sequentially compact).

OK, but how does this help me?

I'm aware that compactness implies local compactness, i.e. the contrapositive is that non local compactness implies non compactness.

But I don't see how this helps here.

I'm aware too that, since this space is metrizable, compactness, sequential compactness and limit point compactness are equivalent. Hence, our space cannot be compact (by proving what you suggested).

But I don't know of an implication which says that a non compact space is non local compact.

In the title you say you need local compactness, but the OP question just asks about compact. Regardless, you can modify rasmhop's sequence to show that the space is not locally compact at (0,0,0,...)

Oh sorry. At some point I convinced myself that we were just dealing with compactness, not local compactness.

Anyway the general idea should still work. If [itex]X=[0,1]^\omega[/itex] is locally compact, then the point b = (0,0,0,...) has a compact neighborhood. In particular we can find an [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] such that [itex]U = B(b,\epsilon) \cap X[/itex] is contained in a compact set [itex]K \subseteq X[/itex].

Now instead form the sequence
[tex]x_k = (0,0,\ldots,0,2\epsilon/3,0,\ldots)[/itex]
where x_k has [itex]2\epsilon/3[/itex] in the kth place and 0 in all other places.

Then [itex](x_k)[/itex] is a sequence in K, so it has a convergent subsequence, but this is a contradiction since no subsequence of it is Cauchy.

EDIT: Posted before I saw office_shredder's reply which to some extent renders this redundant, but I'll leave it since it has some additional details.

No, I'm sorry - I didn't notice I mistyped - I need to show it's not locally compact.

OK, thanks to both for your help. So, we assumed it to be locally compact, and found a sequence which doesn't converge in a compact, i.e. sequentially compact subspace, hence a contradiction.

What is local compactness?

Local compactness is a topological property that describes how "small" a space is. It means that every point in the space has a neighborhood (a set containing the point and some of its surrounding points) that is compact. In other words, the space can be covered by a finite number of open sets.

What does it mean for [0, 1]ω to be locally compact?

[0, 1]ω, also known as the Cantor space, is said to be locally compact because every point in the space has a neighborhood that is compact. This means that the space is not only compact as a whole, but it also behaves like a compact space at each of its individual points.

Why is local compactness important?

Local compactness is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of spaces and functions. It allows us to make certain conclusions about the properties of a space based on its local compactness, such as its connectedness or its ability to be covered by a finite number of open sets.

How is local compactness related to other topological properties?

Local compactness is closely related to other topological properties such as compactness, connectedness, and Hausdorffness. In fact, a space that is locally compact, Hausdorff, and second countable (meaning it has a countable basis) is known as a paracompact space.

Is [0, 1]ω a locally compact space?

Yes, [0, 1]ω is a locally compact space. This can be proven by showing that every point in the space has a compact neighborhood. In the case of [0, 1]ω, every point has a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to the Cantor set, which is a compact space.