Local lorentz tranformations of fermion action

In summary, the action for a fermion in curved spacetime is given by S = -\int d^4 x \sqrt{- \det(\eta^{ab} e_{a\mu}e_{b\nu})} \left[ i\overline{\psi} e^\mu_a \gamma^a D_\mu \psi + i m \overline{\psi}\psi \right] where g_{\mu\nu} = \eta^{ab} e_{a\mu} e_{b\nu} and the derivative operator acting on fermions is given by D_\mu \psi = \partial_\mu \psi - \frac{i}{2} \omega_{ab\mu} S^{
jdstokes
The action for a fermion in curved spacetime is

[itex]S = -\int d^4 x \sqrt{- \det(\eta^{ab} e_{a\mu}e_{b\nu})} \left[ i\overline{\psi} e^\mu_a \gamma^a D_\mu \psi + i m \overline{\psi}\psi \right][/itex]

where [itex]g_{\mu\nu} = \eta^{ab} e_{a\mu} e_{b\nu}[/itex] and the derivative operator acting on fermions is given by

[itex]D_\mu \psi = \partial_\mu \psi - \frac{i}{2} \omega_{ab\mu} S^{ab} \psi[/itex]

where [itex]S^{ab} = -(i/4)[\gamma^a,\gamma^b][/itex].

I am failing to show that [itex]D_\mu \psi[/itex] transforms covariantly under local Lorentz transformations.

As far as I understand, the relation [itex]\omega_{ab\mu} = e_a^\nu \nabla_\mu e_{b\nu}[/itex] implies that the following transformation rules

[itex]\psi(x) \mapsto \Lambda_{1/2}(x) \psi(x)[/itex]
[itex]e_{a\mu}(x) \mapsto {\Lambda^a}_b(x) e_{b\mu}(x)[/itex]
[itex]\omega_{ab\mu}(x) \mapsto {\Lambda^{\alpha}}_a(x) \omega_{\alpha\beta\mu}(x) {\Lambda^\beta}_b(x) + \eta_{\alpha\beta}{\Lambda^\alpha}_a(x)\partial_\mu {\Lambda^\beta}_b(x)[/itex].

Plugging these transformations into [itex]D_\mu \psi[/itex] for an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation, for which
[itex]{\Lambda^a}_b = \delta^a_b + \theta^a_b[/itex]
[itex]\Lambda_{1/2} = 1 + (i/2)\theta_{ab} S^{ab}[/itex]
I obtain

[itex]D_\mu \psi \mapsto D_\mu' \psi' = (\partial_\mu \Lambda_{1/2})\psi + \Lambda_{1/2} \partial_\mu \psi - \frac{i}{2}\left[{\Lambda^{\alpha}}_a \omega_{\alpha\beta\mu} {\Lambda^\beta}_b + \eta_{\alpha\beta}{\Lambda^\alpha}_a \partial_\mu {\Lambda^\beta}_b \right]S^{ab}\Lambda_{1/2}\psi[/itex]

In infinitesimal form:

[itex]D_\mu' \psi' = \frac{i}{2} \partial_\mu \theta_{ab} S^{ab}\psi + (1 + i/2\, \theta_{ab}S^{ab})\partial_\mu \psi -\frac{i}{2}\left[(\delta^\alpha_a + \theta^\alpha_a)\omega_{\alpha\beta\mu}(\delta^\beta_b + \theta^\beta_b) + \eta_{\alpha\beta} (\delta^\alpha_a + \theta^\alpha_a ) \partial_\mu \theta^\beta_b \right] S^{ab}(1 + i/2\, \theta_{cd}S^{cd})\psi[/itex]

Ignorning quadratic terms and using the anti-symmetry of [itex]\theta_{ab}[/itex]:

[itex]D_\mu' \psi' = (1 + i/2\, \theta_{ab}S^{ab})\partial_\mu \psi -\frac{i}{2} \left( \omega_{ab\mu} S^{ab} + \frac{i}{2} \omega_{ab\mu} \theta_{cd} S^{ab} S^{cd}\right)\psi - \frac{i}{2}\left( \omega_{a\beta\mu} \theta^\beta_b + \omega_{\alpha b \mu} \theta^\alpha_a\right) S^{ab} \psi[/itex]

The first two terms combine to give [itex](1+ i/2 \, \theta_{cd}S^{cd})(\partial_\mu - i/2\, \omega_{ab\mu}S^{ab})\psi = \Lambda_{1/2} D_\mu \psi[/itex] as required, but the last term does not have anything to cancel with. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I might be going wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the error lies in the fact that I should be considering the transformation of [itex]{\omega^a}_{b}[/itex] rather than [itex]\omega_{ab}[/itex]. The transformation rule for [itex]{\omega^a}_{b}[/itex] is

[itex]{\omega^a}_{b\mu}(x) \mapsto {\Lambda^\beta}_b(x) {\omega^\alpha}_{\beta\mu}(x) {\Lambda_{\alpha}}^a(x) + [\partial_\mu {\Lambda^\alpha}_b(x)]{\Lambda_\alpha}^a(x)[/itex]

expanding this into infinitesimal form gives extra minus signs because of [itex]{\Lambda^a}_b = \delta^a_b + \theta^a_b[/itex] and [itex]{\Lambda_a}^b = \delta^b_a - \theta^b_a[/itex]. These cause the last term in the expression for [itex]D_\mu' \psi'[/itex] to cancel.

1. What are Local Lorentz Transformations of Fermion Action?

Local Lorentz Transformations of Fermion Action refer to the mathematical equations used to describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, in the context of special relativity. These transformations take into account the fact that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. Why are Local Lorentz Transformations important in physics?

Local Lorentz Transformations are important because they provide a consistent framework for understanding the behavior of fermions in special relativity. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in different frames of reference, which is crucial for many areas of physics, including particle physics and cosmology.

3. How are Local Lorentz Transformations related to the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a specific type of Local Lorentz Transformation that applies to the coordinates and velocities of objects in special relativity. It is a more general form of the Galilean transformation, which describes the behavior of objects in classical Newtonian physics. Local Lorentz Transformations, on the other hand, also take into account the spin and other intrinsic properties of particles.

4. What is the difference between Global and Local Lorentz Transformations?

Global Lorentz Transformations refer to transformations that apply to all points in space and time. These are often used in the context of general relativity, which describes the behavior of objects in curved spacetime. Local Lorentz Transformations, on the other hand, are specific to each point in spacetime and take into account the local curvature of spacetime.

5. What is the significance of the term "fermion" in Local Lorentz Transformations?

Fermions are particles that obey the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state. This is in contrast to bosons, which can occupy the same state. Local Lorentz Transformations are important in understanding the behavior of fermions, as their half-integer spin is a fundamental property that must be taken into account in the equations describing their behavior in special relativity.