What Are the Loci for Different Values of Lambda in a Complex Equation?

You should know what inverse distance means. If you don't, look at the definition of inversion and the definition of distance in the Cartesian plane.You have a fixed point ##A = (0,1)## and a moving point ##M = (x,y)##. You have to show that the set of points ##M## such that the ratio of the distance ##AM## to the distance ##AM^*## is constant is a line. So, if you can show that the locus of the point ##M## is a circle, you can show that the locus of the point ##M^*## is a circle as well, and thus the locus of the point ##A = (1,0)##
Alettix

Homework Statement

Consider the relation ## |\frac{z-i}{z*-i}| = \lambda ## where z = x + yi
a) For ##\lambda = 1## show that the locus is a line in the complex plane and find its equation.
b) What is the locus when ##\lambda = 0##?
c) Show that for all other positive ##\lambda## the locus may be written as ##zz* + bz* + b*z + c = 0## where ##c## is a real number. Find conditions on complex #b# and real #c# for which the expression describes a
i) Point
ii) Circle
iii) Line

Homework Equations

## \frac{m}{n} = \frac{mn*}{|n|^2}##
if ## m = k + ip ##, ##|m| = \sqrt{k^2+p^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the following on the first part:
## 1 = |\frac{z-i}{z*-i}| = |\frac{x+i(y-1)}{x-i(y+1)}| = |\frac{(x+i(y-1))\cdot (x+i(y+1))}{x^2+(y+1)^2}| = |\frac{x^2-y^2-2xyi}{x^2+(y+1)^2}| ##
but from here I am stuck, because this does not resemble the equation of a line at all.

Thanks for all help and hints! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Alettix said:

Homework Statement

a) For ##\lambda = 1## show that the locus is a line in the complex plane and find its equation.
c) Show that for all other positive ##\lambda## the locus may be written as ##zz* + bz* + b*z + c = 0## where ##c## is a real number. Find conditions on complex #b# and real #c# for which the expression describes a
i) Point
ii) Circle
iii) Line

Homework Equations

## 1 = |\frac{z-i}{z*-i}| = |\frac{x+i(y-1)}{x-i(y+1)}| = |\frac{(x+i(y-1))\cdot (x+i(y+1))}{x^2+(y+1)^2}| = |\frac{x^2-y^2-2xyi}{x^2+(y+1)^2}| ##
but from here I am stuck, because this does not resemble the equation of a line at all.

For the first part, with ##\lambda = 1##, you have ##|\frac{z-i}{\bar{z}-i}| = 1##, or equivalently, ##|z - i| = |\bar{z}-i|##. Simplify this equation by replacing z and ##\bar{z}##, and by taking magnitudes on each side.

Mark44 said:
For the first part, with ##\lambda = 1##, you have ##|\frac{z-i}{\bar{z}-i}| = 1##, or equivalently, ##|z - i| = |\bar{z}-i|##. Simplify this equation by replacing z and ##\bar{z}##, and by taking magnitudes on each side.
Right! That seems easier! So then we have:
## x^2 + (y-1)^2 = x^2 + (y+1)^2 ##
## y^2 -2y +1 = y^2 + 2y +1 ##
## y = 0##
Thus the loci of all z must be the real axis?

For part b) then: ##|z-i| = 0## requires z=i, thus the loci is a single point?

in c) I have the following:
## \sqrt{(z-i)(z*+i)} = \lambda \sqrt{(z*-i)(z+i)} ## yielding:
##(\lambda^2 -1)z*z - (\lambda^2+1)i z + (\lambda^2+1)iz* + (\lambda^2-1) = 0 ##
but I am not sure how I should derive the conditions for the different loci.
Inserting ##z = x +yi## in ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = 0 ## and noting ##b = -b^*## and ##c=1## simply yields: ##x^2 + y^2 + 1 = 0## which is the equation of a parabola...

Last edited:
Alettix said:
Right! That seems easier! So then we have:
## x^2 + (y-1)^2 = x^2 + (y+1)^2 ##
## y^2 -2y +1 = y^2 + 2y +1 ##
## y = 0##
Thus the loci of all z must be the real axis?

For part b) then: ##|z-i| = 0## requires z=i, thus the loci is a single point?
Yes on both a) and b).
I haven't looked at c) yet, but will do so now.
Alettix said:
in c) I have the following:
## \sqrt{(z-i)(z*+i)} = \lambda \sqrt{(z*-i)(z+i)} ## yielding:
##(\lambda^2 -1)z*z - (\lambda^2+1)i z + (\lambda^2+1)iz* + (\lambda^2-1) = 0 ##
but I am not sure how I should derive the conditions for the different loci.
Inserting ##z = x +yi## in ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = 0 ## and noting ##b = -b^*## and ##c=1## simply yields: ##x^2 + y^2 + 1 = 0## which is the equation of a parabola...

Likes Alettix
Alettix said:
yields: x2+y2+1=0
Check that step
Alettix said:
which is the equation of a parabola...
Umm.. No it isn't.

haruspex said:
Check that step
Well: ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = x^2+y^2+bx-by+b^*x+b^*y +c = 0 ##
noting ##b = -b^*## and ##c=1## gives ##x^2+y^2+c=0##
which is ##x^2+y^2+1=0##
What am I doing wrong?
Umm.. No it isn't.
Sorry, I meant hyperbola!

Alettix said:
Well: ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = x^2+y^2+bx-by+b^*x+b^*y +c = 0 ##
noting ##b = -b^*## and ##c=1## gives ##x^2+y^2+c=0##
which is ##x^2+y^2+1=0##
What am I doing wrong?
Why did you choose ##\ c=1\,?##

Alettix said:
What am I doing wrong?
You are cancelling a zb with a z*b.
Alettix said:
Sorry, I meant hyperbola!
Not that either.

SammyS said:
Why did you choose ##\ c=1\,?##
I didn't choose it, it followed from ##(\lambda^2 -1)z*z - (\lambda^2+1)i z + (\lambda^2+1)iz* + (\lambda^2-1) = 0 ## assuming ##\lambda \ne 1##

haruspex said:
You are cancelling a zb with a z*b.

Not that either.
Sorry, my bad!
It should be: ##x^2 + y^2 - 2bi y + 1 = x^2 +y^2 + 2|b|y + 1 = 0## which can be written as ##x^2 + (y+|b|)^2 = |b|^2 - 1##. Which is the equation of a circle. This becomes a point if ##|b|^2 = 1##. But how can this be made a line?

Alettix said:
how can this be made a line?
To arrive at this equation you made an assumption about λ, remember?

Alettix said:

Homework Statement

i) Point
ii) Circle
iii) Line

Homework Equations

Use geometry! ##|z-i|## is the distance of the point ##(x,y)## from the point ##(0,1)## in the Cartesian plane. ##|z^*-i| = |(z^*-i)^*| = |z+i|## is the distance from ##(x,y)## to ##(0,-1)##.

So, for (a), you want all the points ##(x,y)## that are the same distance to the two points ##(0,1)## and ##(0,-1)##.
For (b) you want ##d[(x,y) \to (0,1)]= 0\, d[(x,y) \to (0,-1)] = 0##. For (c) you want ##d[(x,y) \to (0,1)] = \lambda d[(x,y) \to (0,-1)]##, or
##d[(x,y) \to (0,1)]^2 = \lambda^2 d[(x,y) \to (0,-1)]^2.## Expand this equation out in terms of powers of ##x## and ##y##, to see what you get.

haruspex said:
To arrive at this equation you made an assumption about λ, remember?
Yes, I assumed that ##\lambda >1##. This also means that I cannot insert ##lambda = 1## (which gave a line) into my ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = 0 ## equation, because in that case ##b## diverges. Therefore I am not really sure how to find the conditions of a line.

Alettix said:
Yes, I assumed that ##\lambda >1##. This also means that I cannot insert ##lambda = 1## (which gave a line) into my ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = 0 ## equation, because in that case ##b## diverges. Therefore I am not really sure how to find the conditions of a line.
Sorry, I overlooked that it was asking for conditions on b and c, so is specifically in the context of λ≠1. As you found, it can never be a line, though it does tend to a line in the limit as b tends to infinity.

Likes Alettix
haruspex said:
Sorry, I overlooked that it was asking for conditions on b and c, so is specifically in the context of λ≠1. As you found, it can never be a line, though it does tend to a line in the limit as b tends to infinity.
Got it! Thank you very much!

1. What is a "Loci of Complex Equation"?

A Loci of Complex Equation is a graphical representation of all the points that satisfy a given complex equation. It is a visual way to understand the solutions of a complex equation and can often help in solving problems.

2. How is a Loci of Complex Equation different from a regular graph?

A Loci of Complex Equation involves plotting points that satisfy a complex equation, whereas a regular graph usually involves plotting points that satisfy a linear equation. The points on a Loci of Complex Equation may not always lie on a straight line, making it more complex and challenging to understand.

3. What types of equations can be represented by a Loci of Complex Equation?

A Loci of Complex Equation can represent any complex equation, which includes equations with imaginary numbers, such as z2 + 2z + 2 = 0. It can also represent equations with real and imaginary parts, such as z + 2 = 3i.

4. How can a Loci of Complex Equation be useful in real-life applications?

Loci of Complex Equations can be used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. They can help in analyzing and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, and stock market trends.

5. Is it possible to plot a Loci of Complex Equation by hand?

Yes, it is possible to plot a Loci of Complex Equation by hand, but it can be time-consuming and challenging. It is more common to use graphing software or calculators to plot these equations accurately and efficiently.