1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loci of Complex Equation

1. Jan 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the relation ## |\frac{z-i}{z*-i}| = \lambda ## where z = x + yi
    a) For ##\lambda = 1## show that the locus is a line in the complex plane and find its equation.
    b) What is the locus when ##\lambda = 0##?
    c) Show that for all other positive ##\lambda## the locus may be written as ##zz* + bz* + b*z + c = 0## where ##c## is a real number. Find conditions on complex #b# and real #c# for which the expression describes a
    i) Point
    ii) Circle
    iii) Line

2. Relevant equations
    ## \frac{m}{n} = \frac{mn*}{|n|^2}##
    if ## m = k + ip ##, ##|m| = \sqrt{k^2+p^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried the following on the first part:
    ## 1 = |\frac{z-i}{z*-i}| = |\frac{x+i(y-1)}{x-i(y+1)}| = |\frac{(x+i(y-1))\cdot (x+i(y+1))}{x^2+(y+1)^2}| = |\frac{x^2-y^2-2xyi}{x^2+(y+1)^2}| ##
    but from here I am stuck, because this does not resemble the equation of a line at all.

Thanks for all help and hints! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the first part, with ##\lambda = 1##, you have ##|\frac{z-i}{\bar{z}-i}| = 1##, or equivalently, ##|z - i| = |\bar{z}-i|##. Simplify this equation by replacing z and ##\bar{z}##, and by taking magnitudes on each side.

4. Jan 15, 2017 #3
    Right! That seems easier! So then we have:
    ## x^2 + (y-1)^2 = x^2 + (y+1)^2 ##
    ## y^2 -2y +1 = y^2 + 2y +1 ##
    ## y = 0##
    Thus the loci of all z must be the real axis?

For part b) then: ##|z-i| = 0## requires z=i, thus the loci is a single point?

in c) I have the following:
    ## \sqrt{(z-i)(z*+i)} = \lambda \sqrt{(z*-i)(z+i)} ## yielding:
    ##(\lambda^2 -1)z*z - (\lambda^2+1)i z + (\lambda^2+1)iz* + (\lambda^2-1) = 0 ##
    but I am not sure how I should derive the conditions for the different loci.
    Inserting ##z = x +yi## in ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = 0 ## and noting ##b = -b^*## and ##c=1## simply yields: ##x^2 + y^2 + 1 = 0## which is the equation of a parabola...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  5. Jan 15, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes on both a) and b).
    I haven't looked at c) yet, but will do so now.

6. Jan 15, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Check that step
    Umm.. No it isn't.

7. Jan 16, 2017 #6
    Well: ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = x^2+y^2+bx-by+b^*x+b^*y +c = 0 ##
    noting ##b = -b^*## and ##c=1## gives ##x^2+y^2+c=0##
    which is ##x^2+y^2+1=0##
    What am I doing wrong?
    Sorry, I meant hyperbola!

8. Jan 16, 2017 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why did you choose ##\ c=1\,?##

9. Jan 16, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are cancelling a zb with a z*b.
    Not that either.

10. Jan 16, 2017 #9
    I didn't choose it, it followed from ##(\lambda^2 -1)z*z - (\lambda^2+1)i z + (\lambda^2+1)iz* + (\lambda^2-1) = 0 ## assuming ##\lambda \ne 1##

11. Jan 16, 2017 #10
    Sorry, my bad!
    It should be: ##x^2 + y^2 - 2bi y + 1 = x^2 +y^2 + 2|b|y + 1 = 0## which can be written as ##x^2 + (y+|b|)^2 = |b|^2 - 1##. Which is the equation of a circle. This becomes a point if ##|b|^2 = 1##. But how can this be made a line?

12. Jan 16, 2017 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To arrive at this equation you made an assumption about λ, remember?

13. Jan 16, 2017 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use geometry! ##|z-i|## is the distance of the point ##(x,y)## from the point ##(0,1)## in the Cartesian plane. ##|z^*-i| = |(z^*-i)^*| = |z+i|## is the distance from ##(x,y)## to ##(0,-1)##.

So, for (a), you want all the points ##(x,y)## that are the same distance to the two points ##(0,1)## and ##(0,-1)##.
    For (b) you want ##d[(x,y) \to (0,1)]= 0\, d[(x,y) \to (0,-1)] = 0##. For (c) you want ##d[(x,y) \to (0,1)] = \lambda d[(x,y) \to (0,-1)]##, or
    ##d[(x,y) \to (0,1)]^2 = \lambda^2 d[(x,y) \to (0,-1)]^2.## Expand this equation out in terms of powers of ##x## and ##y##, to see what you get.

14. Jan 17, 2017 #13
    Yes, I assumed that ##\lambda >1##. This also means that I cannot insert ##lambda = 1## (which gave a line) into my ##z^*z + bz^* +b^*z + c = 0 ## equation, because in that case ##b## diverges. Therefore I am not really sure how to find the conditions of a line.

15. Jan 17, 2017 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry, I overlooked that it was asking for conditions on b and c, so is specifically in the context of λ≠1. As you found, it can never be a line, though it does tend to a line in the limit as b tends to infinity.

16. Jan 18, 2017 #15
    Got it! Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted