1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Log2 - why am I off by 2

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    Problem statement

Find an approximate value for log(2) by subdividing the interval [1,2] into sub-intervals of length 1/n and using this subdivision to compute the upper sum for the function f(x)=1/x. Compute the upper sum for n=1,2,...,10.

My solution
    The way I approached this is as follows

Use the definition of integral: as n -> inf ([tex]\sum[/tex] f(ci)*partition length)

a. take a partition of size 0.1 (as I have 10 points from 1-2)
    b. find f(1.0) + f(1.1) + ... f(1.9) = 1/1 + 1/1.1 + 1/1.2 + .... 1/1.9 = 7.185
    c. Multiply 7.185*0.1 = 0.7185

Obviously log2 = 0.301 ~= 0.7185/2. <--- Error.

To see if my understanding of integrals is right, I used same method for f(x) =x^2 from [1,2] and came up with the right answer. So what am I doing wrong with 1/x.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because you hit the log button instead of the ln button on your calculator :tongue:
  4. Dec 13, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You've hit an unfortunate boundary in math notation! In "elementary" course (say introductory calculus and below) typically "log" is used for the common log (base 10) and "ln" is used for the natural logarithm. Most calculators use "log" for common logarithm and "ln" for natural logarithm. But in higher level courses common logarithm is never used and "log" is used for the natural logarithm.

The function you get by integrating 1/x is the natural logarithm.
  5. Dec 13, 2007 #4
    OK - thanks to both.
    That explains it and my answer matches.
  6. Dec 13, 2007 #5
    Well, in my school, we are taught that 'ln' is natural logarithm, 'lg' is decimal logarithm (base 10) and 'log' is logarithm with any other base.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?