Exploring the Relationship between Logarithms and Exponents

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between logarithms and exponents. It is explained that the equation logx^n = nlogx is true because of the rule for manipulating exponentials and the definition of logs. The importance of properly defining log(x) is also mentioned.
nobb
Hey
I am doing an investigation for logarithms, and I have a question. logx^n = nlogx. Based on previous knowledge of exponents, could someone please explain why this is true? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let lgx = m. Then, 10m = x.

xr = (10m)r
xr = 10rm
lgxr = rm
lgxr = rlgx

I don't really get what you are doing. You are solving it with knowledge of logs. Is it possible to answer the question with knowledge from exponents only? Or could you please tell me how this relates to exponents?

Use the identity:
[tex]a^x=y \iff x=\log_ay[/tex]
Then with the familiar rules for manipulating exponentials, the rules for logarithms follow automatically.

OK, I try again.

Let lgx = m. Then,

10m = x. <--- This is taken directly from the definition of logs.

x = 10m

xr = (10m)r <-- follows from the rule that says if a = b, then ar = b r

xr = 10rm <-- follows from the rule that says (ar)m = arm

lgxr = rm <--- from the definition of logs again.

lgxr = rlgx <--- Remember the definition we gave on the first line of this post that states that m = lgx?

There are a number of DIFFERENT ways to prove log(xn)= n log(x)
depending on exactly how you are DEFINING "log(x)". What is your definition of
log(x)??

1. What is a logarithm and how is it used in science?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that helps to express numbers that are too large or too small to write in standard form. It is used in science to simplify complex calculations and to plot exponential relationships on a linear scale.

2. How do I solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms such as the product, quotient, and power rules. You can also convert logarithmic equations into exponential form and solve for the variable.

3. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Common logarithms have a base of 10, while natural logarithms have a base of e, which is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718. Natural logarithms are often used in science because they have a variety of applications in calculus and physics.

4. How can I use logarithms to solve real-world problems?

Logarithms can be used to solve real-world problems involving exponential growth or decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, or compound interest. They can also be used in data analysis to transform non-linear relationships into linear ones.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using logarithms?

One common mistake when using logarithms is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. This can occur when taking the logarithm of a negative number or when using the quotient rule. It is also important to remember to use appropriate units when solving real-world problems with logarithms.