How Accurate Is the Logarithmic Differentiation in This Example?

In summary, logarithmic differentiation is a method used in calculus to differentiate functions in the form of a logarithm. It is useful for differentiating complicated functions involving multiple variables and should be used when the function is in the form of a logarithm or can be rewritten in logarithmic form. The steps to perform logarithmic differentiation are to take the natural logarithm of both sides, simplify using logarithm properties, take the derivative, and rewrite in terms of the original function. However, it cannot be applied to all functions, particularly those involving trigonometric or inverse trigonometric functions.
Ry122
Question:
Find derivative of f(x)=((x^2)(x^3))/((x^4)(x^2))
Attempt:
ln f(x)=(lnx^2)+(lnx^3)-(lnx^4)-(lnx^2)
Can someone tell me what I have done wrong so far?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
forgot to take log of both sides?

bring your powers down.. oo well, u prolly know this

Why don't you just simplify and then differentiate?

I did take the log of both sides. I'm doing it this way because i need to learn this method of differentiation.

oo yep, just realized that.
everything looks good

Related to How Accurate Is the Logarithmic Differentiation in This Example?

What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used in calculus to differentiate functions that are in the form of a logarithm. It involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the original function, then using the properties of logarithms to simplify the resulting equation before taking the derivative.

Why is logarithmic differentiation useful?

Logarithmic differentiation is useful because it allows us to differentiate functions that cannot be easily differentiated using traditional methods, such as the product rule or chain rule. It is particularly useful for differentiating complicated functions involving multiple variables.

When should logarithmic differentiation be used?

Logarithmic differentiation should be used when the function is in the form of a logarithm, or when the function is a product or quotient of functions that can be rewritten in logarithmic form. It is also useful for functions that involve powers or roots.

What are the steps to perform logarithmic differentiation?

The steps to perform logarithmic differentiation are as follows:

1. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the original function.
  2. Use the properties of logarithms to simplify the resulting equation.
  3. Take the derivative of both sides using the rules of differentiation.
  4. Rewrite the resulting equation in terms of the original function.

Can logarithmic differentiation be applied to any function?

No, logarithmic differentiation can only be applied to functions that are in the form of a logarithm or can be rewritten in logarithmic form. It cannot be applied to functions that involve trigonometric or inverse trigonometric functions, or functions that are not continuous.